Questions regarding my cloud | Information security

Hi,
I`m working in a sensitive private fund.
We are considering buying few hard disks which can be accessed thorugh internet (WD my cloud).
Our main concern of course is information security.

These are the questions i couldnt find answers in the forums:

1. Can we secure the hard disk with a password? so even if someone will steal it- he couldn`t see the files.
  2. Can we secure the cloud so that only 3 acounts allowed to log in, and if someone else log in -we will recieve an alert email ?

Thanks,
Mor.

[quote=ā€œMor_Shabtai, post:1, topic:160006, full:trueā€]
These are the questions i couldnt find answers in the forums:

1. Can we secure the hard disk with a password? so even if someone will steal it- he couldn`t see the files.

2. Can we secure the cloud so that only 3 acounts allowed to log in, and if someone else log in -we will recieve an alert email ?[/quote]

3. Can we secure the hard disk with a password? so even if someone will steal it- he couldn`t see the files.
    A. You can not encrypt the HDD on the My Cloud ā€¦ passwords can be hacked.

4. Can we secure the cloud so that only 3 acounts allowed to log in, and if someone else log in -we will recieve an alert email ?
    A. User accounts are setup on the My Cloud via a Dashboard. User access can be restricted to all Share (Directories). Files within a Share have the same permission as the Share. You can setup email alerts for certain events, but Iā€™m not sure if an alert email would be sent via an anonymous login attempt.

To be honest, I would not put sensitive data on a My Cloud and trust that it is safe or secure.

No. You would need to add encryption to any files you store on the machine. The device itself does not encrypt files stored on it (unlike some hardware-encrypted hard disk drives).

If the device is stolen, it needs only a simple reset to clear the administrator password and gain full access to the data stored on the device.

You can create user accounts which give password-protected access to the device.
Iā€™m not aware of any facility to report any attempts to login with either invalid user ID or password.

No system connected to the internet is perfectly secure; encryption only buys you time to take steps to mitigate the effects of stolen data. Only you can decide how ā€˜sensitiveā€™ your data is, and how much security you need to apply, having performed a Security Risk Assessment (look it up: you need to do this if youā€™re taking security seriously).

Nb. I am not WD staff; this is generally a user-to-user forum. You may wish to discuss your requirements with WD themselves.

You donā€™t work for Mossack Fonseca, or a similar company, by any chanceā€¦?

1 Like

[quote=ā€œMor_Shabtai, post:1, topic:160006, full:trueā€]
Hi,
I`m working in a sensitive private fund.
We are considering buying few hard disks which can be accessed thorugh internet (WD my cloud).
Our main concern of course is information security.
ā€¦[/quote]
I stopped reading at ā€œmain concern of course is information securityā€. The answer to just about any question that follows with respect to the My Cloud and security will be no in this case. The lower end single bay My Cloud units ARE NOT designed for the corporate environment where security is remotely an issue. The hard drive is NOT encrypted. There is NO encryption what so ever on these drives unless the user encrypts the content themselves using 3rd party software. While the Shares and their content can be password protected nothing stops someone from simply pulling the drive and attaching it to a Linux OS and pulling all data from it. Not to mention the password can be hacked/changed/erased if one has access to the My Cloud administrator account or accesses the drive through SSH.

If you want true security invest in a NAS designed with security first and foremost. While I like the single bay My Cloud for home use, I wouldnā€™t trust it to mission critical sensitive data in business or corporate environment.

Thank you all :)!
very helpful

hello, sir my name is leo are you working in the private fund I need your help actually I have one question for you to related private fund, last month my friend suggested me private trust fund company. and he suggested to me Angel trust, my question for you could I invest this company. I am waiting for your Answer.