Questions bad block and reallocated sectors count

1. If I have an HD with some badblocks and Reallocated Sectors Count and I download files from the internet will these files be recorded in these defective sectors and will they be corrupted?

2. If I have an HD with some badblocks and Reallocated Sectors Count and I burn a DVD disc of files that are on that HD will these files be corrupted in the recording creating a DVD of corrupted files?

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: Error

Does HDD and operating system have any automatic function to allocate and separate defective sectors from the HDD and prevent these sectors from being used?

Unfortunately not, usually I have to erase the disk to get it to do that

the files are saved in bad sectors of my HDD? not automatic reallocated separated sectors?

when you have increased count of write/read errors in your disk, then you have also increased relocated sectors. Such events have primary effect for speed of your disk (decreases) and safety of your data. This disk is ready for a replacement.

If I burned DVD discs from files that were on this HDD then will I have to discard the discs because they are corrupted? If HDD has bad block, sectors, defective reallocated sectors count then this dvd disc is corrupted?

If an HDD has bad blocks and bad sectors, will the files I download be saved in these bad sectors?

If an HDD has bad blocks and bad sectors, will the files I download be saved in these bad sectors?

i have a lot of disks so that i can move files around when i need to clean a disk up

hard disks are usually robust but occasionally they need some maintenance

If your hard disk has some reallocated sectors: Hard disks do have spare sectors (usually from 256 up to 2560) used to replace bad ones. This remapping operation is transparent to the end user. Anyway, this can lead to degraded performances (because remapped sectors are in different places of the disk than the original ones and the head needs additional moving). If reallocated sectors grow over time, you might encounter some serious troubles. A backup of the most important data is suggested anyway.

So you are in trouble when drive spare sectors are exhausted as then data loss can start happen and Windows flawed chkdsk scan can start to mark some sectors in filesystem as bad which leads to file damage.

Do a in-depth hdd analysis in Speedfan utility and post a report here.

what is the name of this automatic technology for reallocated and isolate bad sectors (badblocks) of hdd? this function is windows or hdd? year 2000 hdds has this function?

It is done at firmware level by hard disk controller no Windows involved, just need power and either left idle or sector read command. If HDD has S.M.A.R.T then it will have also this function( Reallocation Event Count,Current Pending Sector Count, (Offline) Uncorrectable Sector Count). Windows or other OS can find and mark bad sectors only if they are not remapped by HDD controller. Hard to read sectors are added to drives G-list(growing defect list) but if Windows find bad sectors then it is marked in file allocation table only so formatting erases partitions and also the bad sectors have to be scanned again. G-list can’t be deleted by user or OS tools. Bad sectors at OS level can appear only for uncorrectable sectors.
There is also a P-list. P-list contains those bad sectors discovered during manufacturing but these are skipped so doesn’t introduce read penalty.

If you have HDD with some pending or remapped sectors you can try to run WinDFT in extended mode so it can try to fix the remapped sectors or remap those which are still pending. Sometimes sectors are marked as bad by intermittent issue so I had experienced that those can be fixed by manufacturer provided tools and regain the lost performance.

I’ve been looking for the name of this function for a long time but I just found that it is in the firmware and I also wanted to know if HDDs from the year 2000 have this function to automatically realocate defective sectors to prevent files from being saved in these sectors

I burned a lot of important files on DVD discs but those files were on an HDD with bad sectors badblocks so I thought the data was corrupted when I downloaded it to the HDD

As I said read SMART attributes using Speedfan and post link to report here.

Even if disk has badblocks then hdd firmware remaps those sectors which are marked pending to spare if data is tried to write there so it shouldn’t cause data loss. Why it waits for write operation for replacing sector because then there is no risk that wrong data is remapped.

I have many HDDs and I can’t read the attributes now, my doubts is what is the name of the technology that automatically remaps and isolates defective sectors of the HDD, where this technology is present (Windows or HDD) and if HDDs of the year 2000 have this technology

This technology is called S.M.A.R.T. ( Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology ; often written as SMART ). Its implementation is in firmware and is manufacturer specific.

Here is a specification - ftp://ftp.linux-mips.org/pub/linux/mips/people/macro/S.M.A.R.T./8035R2_0.PDF

SMART is reporting only? SMART does not reallocate and isolate defective sectors badblocks?