Questions about my book live

I want to buy a 2tb or 3tb my book wireless external hard drive, but I am not sure of two things. I want to use it as a main drive and not a backup. I want to be able to save files from two computers to the my book, is that possible? Also, another question, once I boot up the computer, will it automatically connect to the external drive or do I have to manually connect it myself every time? Also, can I leave it on 24/7 or do I need to turn it off once I am done using it?

First, you need to understand the MBL is NOT Wireless.  It is WIRED-ONLY.

Yes, you can “connect” (through your network) as many PCs as you like to the MBL.

No, it won’t automatically connect, you will need to configure your PC to connect to it.  

You can choose, during that configuration, whether to re-connect every time you reboot or not.

I leave all of my NAS’s on 24x7.   NAS boxes can take a while to boot, so I find it impractical to turn it off.   Plus, on the MBL, you have to bring up the webpage to turn it off, and the only way to turn it back on is to unplug it and plug it back in.

It’s designed to be powered on 24x7, and this disks (should) go to sleep when not being used.

Hi, two follow-up questions :slight_smile:

You can choose, during that configuration, whether to re-connect every time you reboot or not.

How do you do that? I’m running Windows 7, and I have to map it every time I restart the computer.

It’s designed to be powered on 24x7, and this disks (should) go to sleep when not being used.

How do you know when it’s sleeping? I think mine never does, even though it is configured to do so if inactive for more than 10 minutes (the green light is always on)

To the first poster -

All of your data should be backed up somewhere. The My Book Live is great for storing stuff in a central location, but having it hold the only copy of your files is not a good idea. It can fail just like any other device.

If you are going to make it your primary storage location, consider setting up a “safepoint” so that you have a backup somewhere.

Drive mapping is maintained by Windows. When you map the drive (using Windows, not the CD) you can choose whether it reconnects at login or not. In Win7 go to Start >> My Computer. At the top there is a button for ‘Map network drive’. Click that and it will let you choose a folder (e.g. //mybooklive/Public) and whether you want to reconnect at login.

If you need more info on mapping I would shoot a message at TonyPh, he seems to very familiar with the Windows networking world.

The light will be Blue when the drive is asleep. There are a few things that can factor into this, like Remote Access, so the 10 minutes will not always apply… but it should go to sleep sometime.