Question to the themers

Will the firmware allow for custom “ADDED” xmls [theme xml not movie data xml].

My idea would be a “Config.xml”

if you pointed reference [includes] in the main movie view XMLs to this config.xml

then in the config XML you can add or omit stuff such as backdrop images…etc

So if you released a theme, add backdrop images in the config.xml with all views including reference to config.xml

then people that want rotating backdrops on can allow it in the config, and people that dont can deny it in the config… easier than adding and removing code in each view when you can do it in 1 XML.

Just a thought and unsure if it is possible sicne its not a normal XML included in the HUB firmware. 

If you are talking about doing something like what has been done with the custom firmware on the Live and Live Plus, then the answer is no.

As a matter of fact, the firmware will not allow any kind of custom xml to be added.  Everything in the OSD is set and you can’t add or change things that the firmware doesn’t understand.

First of all you can add xml files and load them through include commands but that’s for a very basic stuff like displaying the time or the weather and a few other things but you cannot change basic characteristics of a page.

The rotating background problem must be solved by hand edit you cannot create a config page for that.

The closest you can do is to have one main source.xml that is included in all other page files and refers to other xml files with a decent comment line people would be able to delete what they don’t want and it would disappear on all pages at the same time, like I said above there is nothing major you can change on the behavior of the page, you can add / delete some elements, graphics, rss feeds… Having said that, it would be very static. Some pages should be arranged differently from each other.

ditto

DeVicious wrote:

First of all you can add xml files and load them through include commands but that’s for a very basic stuff like displaying the time or the weather and a few other things but you cannot change basic characteristics of a page.

The rotating background problem must be solved by hand edit you cannot create a config page for that.

The closest you can do is to have one main source.xml that is included in all other page files and refers to other xml files with a decent comment line people would be able to delete what they don’t want and it would disappear on all pages at the same time, like I said above there is nothing major you can change on the behavior of the page, you can add / delete some elements, graphics, rss feeds… Having said that, it would be very static. Some pages should be arranged differently from each other.

Yes, but I believe what he is asking is if you can add xmls that contain information to change behavior.  I believe he is referring to something like is done with the custom FW on the Live and Live Plus.  But the reason it can be done on those devices is because of the custom FW.

Include xml’s are nothing more than xml’s that contain the same info that could be included  in the main xml, but are included in a seperate xml for speed and so that common elements don’t have to be included in every xml and can be pointed a single xml with that data.  You can pretty much move anything to an include xml, but it would have to be the same info that is understood as if it were in the main xml.

Include xmls are just branches of the main xml and you can actually use them to speed up themes and improve the themes stability.

DeVicious is right.

say the rotating backdrops is located in each:

rv_gallery_browse_page.xml

rv_large_video_browse_page.xml

rv_list_browse_page.xml

rv_video_browse_page.xml

rv_preview_browse_page.xml

Now if a themer makes a theme where backdrops are included and I want the theme and dont want the backdrops I ahve to comment or delete the coding in each of the 5 XMLs.

however if we made a NEW, never been created XML called config.xml [example naming]

put the code for rotating backdrops in config.xml

then in each of the 5 above XMLs have an “include” statement to point to config.xml

Now if I want no backdrops I just need to comment out the code in config.xml

can have instructions on how to comment out. what lines are for what purpose. and can use the config.xml for more universal coding than just backdrops… this is just an example.

I know the coding can be done, but its whether the HUB firmware would allow the extra “config.xml” file

Well, first the rotating backdrop on works in the Gallery view.  So your point on that is mute  because it only works for one view.

Second, yes you could do something like that but then you would have to have to include xmls:

and

One were one is on and the were it’s off.  You couldn’t have a single xml have both on & off, because they would conflict with each other.  Nor could you have it on the main xml and off in a include xml for the same reason.

Like I said, you can add anything via a “branch” xml as long as it’s understood by the main xml.  But you can’t have the same “branch” xml for all the views because the variable are set by the firmware and not all variables are the same for all views.

It doesn’t matter what the include xml is named, you can call it anything you want, but it has to follow the rules set by the main xml.

There is no way to have a “universal” code, because you would have to have a different include xml for every change that someone wanted to make.

say the rotating backdrops is located in each:

rv_gallery_browse_page.xml

rv_large_video_browse_page.xml

rv_list_browse_page.xml

rv_video_browse_page.xml

rv_preview_browse_page.xml

Rotating backdrops only work in Gallery Video, that’s how it programmed into Firmware

however if we made a NEW, never been created XML called config.xml [example naming]

put the code for rotating backdrops in config.xml

Sure, you can put the code for rotating backdrops in other xmls, but it wont work… Rotating backdrops is limited to Gallery View via  Firmware

I know the coding can be done, but its whether the HUB firmware would allow the extra “config.xml” file

It wont work

drizzt you have to draw the line between functionality and generic features.

most of the pages would not understand the functionality of other pages and (i haven’t tried) would probably crash.

I believe the system as we have it now is fine. We create a theme and modifications will be accomplished through community efforts. It would be great indeed if we could add or delete pages or create pages completely based on our ideas but we are limited to this firmware.

Maybe one day the firmware will be more transparent and open but i doubt it because the despite the problems we have with the firmware it is still the  best device out there in my book.

oh well was worth a shot

put it in the idea exchange, i would love to be able to turn things on and off.

DeVicious wrote:

drizzt you have to draw the line between functionality and generic features.

most of the pages would not understand the functionality of other pages and (i haven’t tried) would probably crash.

It want crash, just want recognize it.