Question regarding the FAN used by WD My Cloud EX2

I put the AC Infinity AI-MPF80A facing down on my unit that rashrl recommended. It works great! Reduced my idle temps from 45C to 37C. It plugs into the USB port on the back.

Let’s see, this thread was started over a year ago … anyway it’s a shame EX2 owners have to resort to these kinds of modifications … too bad there was not fan control in the UI.

Ordered a fan set today,  toasted 1 6TB drive already,  what a mess with WD to replace just one of the hot swap drives,   they wanted the unit back, then said I could just ship drive,    FYI if you do that keep the tab and screws like i did after 3 weeks and lots of calls they did send a new drive sans the screws…   Tier1 **bleep**,  they lost my drive un till i kept calling and calling

i have just had to send my EX2 4TB drive back today as the system fan actually failed. no way to replace it so they are going to send me a new unit out. even had to send the drives back. 

i am definitely going to install another fan on the top of the unit for addtional cooling. can’t see that AC infinity fan available in the UK but there are a few listed on amazon for under £15. will try Maplin too. 

seems worth it to avoid the hassle of having to send my drive back again. 

djlocky9999 wrote:

i have just had to send my EX2 4TB drive back today as the system fan actually failed. no way to replace it so they are going to send me a new unit out. even had to send the drives back. 

i am definitely going to install another fan on the top of the unit for addtional cooling. can’t see that AC infinity fan available in the UK but there are a few listed on amazon for under £15. will try Maplin too. 

seems worth it to avoid the hassle of having to send my drive back again. 

For most of us the system fan doesn’t kick in…so how did you determine that your system fan failed??

i got a critical warning email that the system fan had failed in August. thought nothing of it but then got another one last Saturday.

when I ran a diagnostic check it had a red critical error against the fan and said contact customer services. 

When i checked the log it showed around 140 critical errors since August for the fan each telling me to contact customer service due to fan failure. 

being new the world of NAS drives etc. I thought i best send it back and get a new one before I load more data onto it. 

djlocky9999 wrote:

i got a critical warning email that the system fan had failed in August. thought nothing of it but then got another one last Saturday.

when I ran a diagnostic check it had a red critical error against the fan and said contact customer services. 

When i checked the log it showed around 140 critical errors since August for the fan each telling me to contact customer service due to fan failure. 

being new the world of NAS drives etc. I thought i best send it back and get a new one before I load more data onto it. 

Aah, okay…yes, that sure sounds like a fan failure. I was just curious. Thanks for the info.

just hope the new one is okay!!

will be retrofitting a USB fan to the top when it arrives. 

then the painful 2 week slog of copying my data back onto it!!

installed the fan last night dropped from 39 to 30  I say its worth it.

Just got my replacement unit back today. Installed the fan on top of it. Idle temps 24-27 so far. Was 37 without. So far so good. Now to copy 500gb back to it…

Hi guys,

I’m also having this fan problem with my EX2. On Sep 15 and Aug 2 the NAS had a critical failure (“The system fan is not working” – log below), advising to contact support.

And I can also confirm the temperature/RPM issue: when MyCloud is under severe load it gets really hot and I don’t see any change in the fan RPM (always at 0) nor any ventilation noise or outwards air flow. It always runs at more than the 35 oC normal peak temperature without any active fan ventilation. Right now, it’s at 46 oC and the fan is at 0 RPM.

This is really concerning, because it means a serious lifetime degradation without the appropriate cooling. I hope WD will take this issue more seriously.

that is exactly what i got from the system log. 

my new unit seems okay, 2 days in. have a large USB fan 90mm x 25mm fan on the top and even when dumping large amounts on the unit it stays around 32 degrees. was idle at 21 degrees last night too. 

Hi folks - I found some really useful information on this thread especially the commands to manually enable my fan and the suggestion for the external USB fan. I have the My Cloud Mirror 8T but am experiencing the exact same problems. I just posted my current dilemma on the Mirror forum but thought I’d post a link here as well in case any of you had any suggestions for me. Thanks!

Just to add one more bad experience, with

1. a brand new (Nov-2015) WD My Cloud EX2 6TB NAS, and with
  2. WD Support - no response after 5 days, and counting.

It’s really unbelievable that a potentially good solution is completely undone because of a lousy fan, just about the most basic and ancient element in the system. But WD managed to get it entirely wrong, and seem completely paralysed in their ability to respond.

My only choice now is to clear the hard drives, return a faulty product, and accept the loss of time and money. My replacement will not be WD.

Response from WD support:

"If I understand correctly you are seeing a red LED on the front panel of the EX2 and on the dashboard you receive alerts that the fan has failed.

[S]ince the fan has failed the device would need to be replaced.

Regarding the operating temperatures the 35C is for the environment you keep the EX2 in not the limits for the hard drives. The operating limit for the WD Red drives is 65C. You can find more about the drives here: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/SpecSheet/ENG/2879-800002.pdf

Even though the fan has failed it only turns on when the drive temperatures reach above 55C."

Nonetheless, my EX2’s diagnostics report a Fan Failure even before reaching 55C, so something still does not add up, although I now suspect software failure more than physical fan failure. The fan control software and alert software are out of sync.

The Alerts from my EX2 do not corroborate the info from WD Support (that the “operating” limit for the drives is 65 C, rather than 35 C). I get the “System Over Temperature” alert related the “operating temp” being over 35 C. I suspect WD are confused, so what chance to their software developers have?!

Or perhaps the design logic is simply poor: Let 2x 3TB drives burn up to 55C, while simultaneously monitoring for “ambient” temps to climb over 35C. Makes no sense - Once these 2 beasts are anywhere near 55C, the devices ambient temp CANNOT be <35C without fans. This is simply poor thinking. And the result is very confused software.

There is only one reasonable solution – let those fans start up above 35C. Waiting for hotter drives is silly.

I got an EX2 earlier this month, and after reading this thread, decided to write a little Python app to allow users to take control of the fan speeds. The app should be pretty safe, as it uses only WD’s own fan_control command to check and control the fan speed and temperatures.

It’s written in python (a language new to me, so my code is a bit clumsy, but python seems very nice and quite readable) so you can see what it’s doing. Python is standard on your EX2. Be sure to have firmware rev 2.10.310 installed, since that’s what I tested it with. Yer on yer own with older revs.

It may work on an EX4, I don’t know, but if it does, it’ll only check the temperatures of 2 drives, not 4. I also haven’t tested with only 1 drive installed.

Doesn’t matter whether you use a Mac, a Win PC, or a Linux/UN*X, as long as you can ssh into the EX2, since the app runs only on the NAS’s processor and doesn’t create a GUI.

Once started, it stays running unless you specify otherwise, reading temperatures and changing fan speed as it deems wise. It has a number of options to allow you to tailor it to your own wisdom.

To use it, you’ll need to ssh into your EX2 (see WD’s Manual). I recommend getting the app from my DropBox (irony, but I haven’t tried opening up my EX2 as a general cloud server yet) and copy it to an EX2 share. Also get my “man page” rtf file, and if you have Apple’s Numbers, check out the graphs of some of my tests with the .numbers file.

The link is at the end of this post

First, copy program_fan to one of the shares on your EX2, maybe Public/Software. From ssh, copy it to somewhere appropriate for shell commands, like /usr/local/bin , then read the man page and run program_fan with the -t (looping time) and -L (logging) options to see how it works for you:

program_fan -t 20 -L

Then you can mess with setting low and high temperature thresholds, changing the loop time, and other goodies. See the “man page” for details.

Note: if the EX2 refuses to run it, you may need to make it executable—I don’t know whether DropBox preserves permissions—with

chmod 711 program_fan

(500 if you’re extra-concerned about security)

When it does run, it can take a few seconds before anything visibly happens, so don’t be concerned. If it hangs (has never hung for me, though forgetting to use the -L option makes it appear to be hung), use CTL-C to stop it.

I don’t believe you can harm anything with this app, but there is one caveat: I haven’t yet figured out how to return control of fan speed to WD’s default yet, so you may need to use

fan_control 0 c

(or 0 d) from ssh, which apparently reverts it. Then you’ll need to kill fan_control (CTL -C, or find its process number and issue a kill to it).

I’d like to hear whether this is useful to people, and any feedback on bugs, mis-features, or new feature requests. I intend the app to be in the public domain and stay free forever, so you can hack on it if you want, but do so carefully, please.

One thing I’m thinking would be nice is to hook it into the NAS’s web server, so you can control it in similar fashion to WD’s Dashboard, with buttons and text fields, etc, but I don’t know how to do that, or even whether it can be done (and whether that would annoy WD!). Javascript programmers, please take a look.

link:

i recently started having issues with my media player saying the server connection dropped, which was really weird when I was on a wired connection. Eventually I realized temperature may be an issue. Like most of you I was seeing HDD temps of 60 degrees C on both drives and no RPM on the fan. Seeing suggestions from others I added the Infinity USB fan on top and raised the bottom about an inch off the shelf. Now I’m seeing temps of about 35 degrees. And so far no access issues.

Hey gang, is this still an issue? I read the thread, came here after my drives seemed hotter than they should be.

I did SSH into my EX2 and, using “fan_control” I found that both the upper and lower thresholds were set to 52C, which is not intuitive to me.

In other words…
fan_control -g 1 returns “Lower temperature is 52”
fan_control -g 2 returns “Upper temperature is 52”

I noticed that there are also commands to set the threshold values. Has anyone tried setting them to something else to see if that allows the unit to work properly and turn the fan on at lower temperatures? The only mention I’ve seen was about modifying temperature.txt but that doesn’t exist on my (presumably newer) version of firmware. There are other options listed under the fan_control command to change these thresholds.

I think it’s ridiculous that WD hasn’t solved this or given additional configurability to turn on at lower temperatures. I’m very tempted to write a simple shell script that people could execute to just check in a loop, similar to what was discussed in the python script above.

Hey folks, I recently got my new My Clour Mirror Gen 2 and was scared by the high hdd temperatures. So I began to start searching for solutions, came across this thread and tried the python script, which does definitely work, but in my case, the fan wouldn’t run continusly until the desired temperatures are reached. I guess this is the normal behaviour, since when I force
fan_control -f 5
manually, this would also make the fan run for just couple of seconds.

After a couple of hours searching I think I might have a very simple and stable solution.

1. Login to your MyCloud whatever via SSH.

2. There are 4 xml-config files in
    /etc/wd/

3. Edit two of these four config files: BVBZ-thermal.xml and BWVZ-thermal.xml. Change the value parameter of the lines 54-59. For example: In line 59:
    <step name="check_drv_content" action="compare_temperature" source="drive" index="*" comparison="greater_than" value="55.0" interval="300" goto="set_drv_content" next="check_drv_under" />
    change the value parameter from 55.0 to 37.0. In Line 58 change this value to 42.0 and so on. These are the degree steps, on which the fan will increase its rotation.

4. Edit in both files line 61: change the value parameter to the value in line 59 and add one. So if you changed the value in line 59 to 37.0, change the value in line 61 to 38.0.

5. Restart the daemon, which does the thermal monitoring:
    /etc/init.d/wdtmsd reload

6. Check with ps aux if wdtms is running. If not start the daemon:
    /etc/init.d/wdtmsd start

Now you should have applied your own fan curve.

Nice find, but unfortunately there is no wd subdirectory in /etc on my EX2. :frowning: