Question regarding the FAN used by WD My Cloud EX2

MrqDude wrote:

I just concluded a pleasant 20 minute call with a WD tier-2 technical support person regarding this issue. I gave him a background of my experience up to this point and told him about returning my first EX2 because the tier-1 WD support person thought my fan was defective.  In retrospect after purchasing a second EX2 I can say with a high degree of confidence the fan in my first EX2 was probably not defective.  I also emailed him a link to this two-month discussion because it contains some helpful information including a suggested solution.

The technician committed to escalating the issue, so at this point all we can do it wait and see how WD responds.

On page 57 and 58 of the user manual, it shows you how to check if your temperature and fan are working normally.  The device is designed to warn you of any issues with your system.  You might want to read through it for more general information. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/?id=445&type=25

Operating Temperatures

Operating temperature:

5° C to 35° C ( 41° F to 95° F)

Non-op. temperature:

-20° C to 65° C (-4° F to 149° F)

I would assume that as long as the ambient temperatures don’t exceed the recommendations, you should be fine.  Also, if you are experiencing hotter temperatures coming off the device, you may want to make sure that it has plenty of room for venting any heat.