Question - mp4 thumbnail icons

Hello! - I’m using the MyCloud app to access all of my mp4 video files on my Kindle HD…

It’s doing exactly what I had hoped when I bought it… I’ve only got one minor issue…

Here’s what’s happening - a couple of weeks ago there was a firmware update (mine is set to auto-update, and it did with no problems).

Since the update… MOST of the mp4 files now appear in the app as a thumbnail (apparent random frame from the video file). Whereas before the update ALL of the files appeared with the generic mp4 icon…

There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to which files appear with a thumbnail… There may be ten in a row that show as thumbnails, then the next one will show as the generic icon, etc…

I have also noticed - using the apps “cut” command (and also cutting and pasting within the MyCloud’s shares and directories via the computer), and moving the file to a different directory will sometimes cause it to then generate a thumbnail - but when I do the reverse, the thumbnail is again replaced with the generic icon! … It’s completely unpredictable… This is the case with three different Kindle HDs, one new Kindle HDX, and two different smart phones, all via the WD MyCloud app of course…

I should mention that all of the mp4 files are converted from purchased DVDs, using the same conversion program and the same settings… Anyway, it obviously has no affect on the quality or ability to access the files and view the videos… It’s merely an annoying nuisance.

I’m hoping that someone out there can help me fix this (my preference would be that they all show with the thumbnails), or at least tell me if there is no repair.

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

None of the files that existed on your drive before that firmware update will ever get an icon, unless you trick the NAS into thinking the file has been updated.

You could try this:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/HOW-TO-Get-Video-Thumbnails-on-My-Cloud-app/m-p/657625#M4539