Question about transfer speed of my cloud ex2 product. request advice please

Hi guys,

I use Raid 1 on my cloud ex2.

I have something weird going on. When i received mine My Cloud ex2 with dual wd red of 6tb disks i just unpack all the gear and just do the installation as provided. I used also the data cable that was inluced in the box and i connect it to mine Airport Extreme router from apple.  Also mine computer is windows and is also connected on the Airport extreme and if i do a speedtest of mine connection via this website www.speedtest.net. below you see a picture of it.  The problem i have with mine My cloud device is i wanted to copy mine files from a wd 4tb external disk wich is connected on my pc via USB 3 connection from there i copy them to mine Wd my cloud ex2 drive via network and i try to move arround 50gigs in total and he write them in aprox 10MB/s thats ridicilous slow speed. How i can solve this issue /? is there any way to do it faster because i also wanted my movies on the nas but if i see that 50 gigs takes me aprox 2 hours to get the job done ya mine USB 3 external disk do this operation much quicker… pfff 

I checked also mine network and i have 1Gb speed and the network light at the back of the mycloud ex2 is GREEN blinking because of the copy proces…

Anyone can give me explanation about this matter

Thanks in advance

Steve

Hi and welcome to the WD community.

This happens copying the files locally or remotely to the unit ?

Hi 

I just try to grab some files from my Mybook 4 tb. He is connected to mine pc via usb 3 cable and i want to take some files like a movie filesize arround 10gb. When i copy it and go to mine nas folder and just do paste in a folder ja it gives me transfer speeds arround 9-12 mb/s… I also testest this: mine C drive is a SSD and i take from there some files and wanted drop it in mine nas folder ya the same thing will happen… slow transfer speed

Never mind I send it already back to the shop and ask for refunding. WD is good for storage but for Nas business they far behind the competition of the other brands…I can’t imagine people can work with this thing !!!

You do realize, this will be the same with a Synology, Netgear, QNAP NAS and plently others right? lol.

While I agree WD is behind, a lot, your post is typical networking ignorance at its finest.

Ya sure thats why mine new NAS works perfectly and much faster… -_- and the model i have is more difficult to setup but works much better…  And you say that i have network issues…? :slight_smile:  we dealing here with slow hardware performance that was the issue on the WD product period

i kind of agree with StevoBe about the slow performance. 

The hardware is not fast,  but the software is often the bottleneck. 

I did copy some files from tablet to wdmcex2, and that took a reasonable time. 

After a cup of coffee,  i sent another file, and that one  took ages to reach 100%.

Under the same conditions as the first upload. 

Same signal strength and no other users. 

Only difference was the wdmcex2 came back from sleep. 

During upload,  the whole wdmcex2 was unresponsive for al other tasks. 

This with the problems with backups,  makes this WD a little bit of a disappointment. 

If i could,  I would also change it for a different brand. 

No NAS is without faults,  but not as much as this one. 

It is nice when a product is easy to install,  but it also has to do well afterwards. 

Now it takes to much time to keep the NAS going as promised. 

And that includes a good backup and restore system! 

Not one that only synchronizes or restores from a earlier made task. 

No task,  no continued copy possible!

Why can’t it just compare a folder with new files,  and only backup the last ones,  without an already existing task? 

It could be a very nice product for the home,  but with better FW/software. 

Now it takes to much time and energy to use it properly! 

Why can I transfer a 2GB movie in less than 40 seconds with my gigabit network on both my Synology DS214Play with 1GB RAM Intel Atom and with the WD EX2 with less than half the specs? Hmmmm…

Ignorance, at its finest. You prove my point. Thanks kiddo.

Sorry but no. Maybe it’s a platform(I use mac) but it never once breaks 15 MB on mine even following all the directions on these forums.  My synology is now pushing 70MB without batting an eye.  Sorry bud but WD has a nice interface but slow as rocks.

kevrone wrote:

Sorry but no. Maybe it’s a platform(I use mac) but it never once breaks 15 MB on mine even following all the directions on these forums.  My synology is now pushing 70MB without batting an eye.  Sorry bud but WD has a nice interface but slow as rocks.

Well, I have a QNAP and a WD EX2. For my QNAP I get much higher speed than my EX2 but that’s because I use 4 ethernet 802.3ad link aggregation on that high-end NAS. But my WD EX2 is very fast on its own using a wired gigabit connection. I consistently get beween 55-60 MBps for write to and 65-80 MBps for read from EX2. I use JBOD on EX2 but that’s because I only have a single drive in it. And I have an SSD drive on my Win7 laptop, so that helps a bit too. See picture below (might take a while to show up as mods need to approve it) for read speed from EX2 to my laptop. So I disagree - my EX2 is not slow as rocks…it just rocks :slight_smile:

ReadSpeed.jpg

I beg to differ…my EX2 was showing 10-11MBps (thats megabytes) until I learned a thing or two about home network infrastructure… What did I learn?

1. I had an old router that did not support gigabit (problem!)

2. I had old network cable that was homemade (possibly a problem)

3. I had outlandish expectations of my hardware despite #1 and #2 (biggest problem)

4. At no point did I doubt the EX2. I was smart enough to know the capabilities of most hardware just didn’t know enough about networking hardware. (first step to solution is admitting there’s a problem)

What did I do? Well I thought about how important it was for me to be able to move data between my PC and the EX2 as fast as possible so i scoured the Internet for answers. I then decided my newer technology devices (iphones, Ipads,Wifi TVs, etc) coud benefit as well from upgraded hardware. So I purchased a gigabit compatible router (it was hard to part with the cash for a stupid box with blinky lights) and a new cat5e cable.

BOOM! 60-70 MBps from my PC to and from the EX2. Now, I would like to see even higher speeds being that my SSD can handle nearly a GB per second and being that a gigabit connection (in theory)) is equivelent to 125MB (and i’m aware of some overhead needs) i was hoping for maybe 90-100MB per second. This is acheiveable perhaps with utilizing a gigabit switch instead of the router and guaranteeing no other writing to the source and destination drives but I’ve got bigger problems… The wifi to my Laptop is bottlenecking my  speeds to the NAS at around 11MBps which I think can be fixed with a new wifi card that is capable of AC speeds. No blame to the EX2 on this…either way despite my less than desirable speeds in the beginning, I never had an issue streaming from the EX2 just backing up data was time consuming. If you value your time and want the speeds that the rest of the world is getting… I suggest the following:

1. Make sure you got a Gigabit router

2. Make sure your PC has a gigabit NIC card

3. Make sure you’ve got good Cat5e (at minimum) cables.

Got all the above satisfied? You should be flying and happier than a blue haired old lady with a bucket of quarters at a Vegas slot machine.

To be clear… I am a cheapskate and don’t have the most robust machinery but I did learn WHERE to spend my money to get the best bang for the buck. I recently went on a purchase binge but with a well thought out strategic plan…

PC = HP500-314 >>16gb Ram >>250gb Samsung 850 SSD >>AMD A8-7600 CPU (total investment $599)

Laptop = Lenovo G50-45 >> 16gb RAM >> 500 gb Samsung 850 SSD >> AMD A8-6140 (total investment  $549)

Router = Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) gigabit router

The money I saved on not buying a top of the line Intel I7  PC for roughly $1,200-$1,400 allowed me to build two pretty decent machines (with fast hard drives and more RAM than I can use) and a $200 router (now available for $160) for nearly the same price as one awesome machine that wont reach its potential with what I use them for. All that said I would then have no more moeny for hardware and would be running through my 6 year old crappy router. Moral of the story, don’t blame the EX2 until you’ve had a darn good look at the rest of your hardware and network infrastructure. I believe most of the complaints are stemmed from my same early mistakes. You need to understand gigabit, megabit, and megabyte before you make any claims.

Hope this helps someone! Sorry for the long post, I think I just found out how much I like writing on my new laptop!

walkaf1,

Welcome to the community and thanks for sharing your experience. I couldn’t agree more with all your thoughts. That is precisely what another user ( Orlandoech) and I said (including a pic of a file transfer) on the previous page of this post. I don’t even bother replying to these threads anymore with same old complaints about slow transfer speeds. People blame it on EX2, when they don’t understand the processes involved and the limitations of their hardware. So they keep coming here with the same complaints, while all the time using wi-fi connection. Even with an AC router and AC NIC in their laptop/desktop, the speed will never be close to what one can get with a wired connection. On top of that, most of the time folks are copying media files and it is a fact that EX2’s hardware is very underpowered (weak CPU & paltry 512 MB RAM) and coupled with the media indexing process that runs on the server, data transfers will of course be a pain. Plus if you are copying thousands uon thousands of small picture files, the weak cpu does get overwhelmed (when the indexing process is running). One needs to turn off the media indexing process and media sharing process off when doing bulk media transfers and use wired gigabit.

I am glad that you had the smarts to do your own research, figure out the issues, was willing to admit that your hardware and network infrastructure was the main bottleneck and decided to spend money to remove those bottlenecks rather than wrongly blame it on the EX2.

I would like to highlight a few of your comments that I agreed with/liked:

“I was smart enough to know the capabilities of most hardware just didn’t know enough about networking hardware. (first step to solution is admitting there’s a problem)”

“so i scoured the Internet for answers”

“The wifi to my Laptop is bottlenecking my  speeds to the NAS at around 11MBps which I think can be fixed with a new wifi card that is capable of AC speeds”  (just be aware, you’ll still not get the kind of speeds with an AC NIC that you see with a wired gigabit connection)

“Moral of the story, don’t blame the EX2 until you’ve had a darn good look at the rest of your hardware and network infrastructure. I believe most of the complaints are stemmed from my same early mistakes. You need to understand gigabit, megabit, and megabyte before you make any claims.”

I will also highlight Orlandoech’s comment from previous page, with which I agree:

“While I agree WD is behind, a lot, your post is typical networking ignorance at its finest.”

I am not a WD fanboy and sure the EX2 and even the successor EX2100 is light years behind the much more expensive QNAPs and Synologys of this world in terms of user-friendliness and breadth of features, but for basic NAS and media serving needs the EX2 does a good job.