Question About Syncing

Newbie here, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.  I am unclear about how syncing works.  I copied a large number of photos from my Synology NAS’ shared photos folder to the WD TV’s internal drive.  I then set up syncing and pointed to the same Synology shared photos folder.  When I first set up the syncing, the WD TV screen said it would sync the next time the unit went into standby or the screen saver was activated.   I assumed that with syncing set up, the WD TV would periodically look for any new files that show up in the Synology photo folder and then add them to the WD TV’s internal drive.  As a test, I added a new Test Folder to the NAS to confirm that the syncing worked.  I waited for about an hour after the screen saver activated and then checked to see if the new folder was added to the WDTV’s internal drive.  It wasn’t.  However, a new folder called “Sync” was created and it seemed to have duplicated all my photos, plus the new file.  If syncing re-copies the entire target folder into a new Sync Folder every time it syncs, I will run out of space in no time.  I’m sure I am doing something wrong, but cannot figure it out.  Can someone please help?! 

robgold wrote:

Newbie here, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question.  I am unclear about how syncing works.  I copied a large number of photos from my Synology NAS’ shared photos folder to the WD TV’s internal drive.  I then set up syncing and pointed to the same Synology shared photos folder.  When I first set up the syncing, the WD TV screen said it would sync the next time the unit went into standby or the screen saver was activated.   I assumed that with syncing set up, the WD TV would periodically look for any new files that show up in the Synology photo folder and then add them to the WD TV’s internal drive.  As a test, I added a new Test Folder to the NAS to confirm that the syncing worked.  I waited for about an hour after the screen saver activated and then checked to see if the new folder was added to the WDTV’s internal drive.  It wasn’t.  However, a new folder called “Sync” was created and it seemed to have duplicated all my photos, plus the new file.  If syncing re-copies the entire target folder into a new Sync Folder every time it syncs, I will run out of space in no time.  I’m sure I am doing something wrong, but cannot figure it out.  Can someone please help?! 

robgold, I’m surprised the new folder was simply named Sync; on my Hub it’s a more detailed description of the disc being synced to.  Regardless, the Hub is using that Sync folder to manage the syncing.  It is ignoring the photos you originally copied over, as that is data it has no interest in, at least for the purpose of syncing.  I suggest you continue to monitor the syncing, which I’m confident will occur in the Sync folder without creating new duplicate ones.  Once you’re sure the sync is being done correctly, you can delete the original batch of photos that you copied over.

Ah, okay, I think I understand.  The sync folder (named “network_sync”) will be the folder that the WD TV uses to store the synced contents.  So, if I understand correctly, if I add a new folder to the NAS, it will eventually find its way to the “network_sync” folder? 

robgold wrote:

Ah, okay, I think I understand.  The sync folder (named “network_sync”) will be the folder that the WD TV uses to store the synced contents.  So, if I understand correctly, if I add a new folder to the NAS, it will eventually find its way to the “network_sync” folder? 

That is correct, yes. To confirm this, I suggest you create a folder on the NAS such as 9-05-11 (easy to then identify on the Hub) and put a photo into it.  If it syncs, I’d say you’re good to go.

Awesome, it works.  Thanks so much!