Question about auto login to network share

Trying to help a friend with an SMP.  I have a Live Plus.  So, if users who have, and are familiar wiith, both these models, especially, know an answer; please help.

I read my friend the following from my user manual for the Live Plus:

_ Auto Login to Network Share _

Use this menu to select a login procedure. When set to On, the media player logs

into the network share anonymously. When set to Off, the media player prompts you

to enter the account name and password to access the network share.

He told me there is nothing for auto login in his on-screen menu, and sure enough, I could not find this material in the SMP manual.  So, how does the SMP auto login to network shares?  Is there a comparable control for SMP as is with the Live Plus?

As far as I can remember when first accessing the share a box comes up with the user name / password and you can then tick a box at the bottom which does it automatically after that.

… and if going through those steps when setting up shares in the Media Library, that tickbox is already checked and cannot be unchecked since the Media Library would implicitly require automatic login to every share.

Thanks Tony and Rich,

So, what you are essentially saying to me is, since the SMP has the Media Lbrary feature (which a Live Plus does not have) the Auto Login for the SMP is pre-configured for auto login, Correct?

mike27oct wrote:

Thanks Tony and Rich,

So, what you are essentially saying to me is, since the SMP has the Media Lbrary feature (which a Live Plus does not have) the Auto Login for the SMP is pre-configured for auto login, Correct?

Only with respect to shares that you add to the media library.

If you’re just selecting the content source to be a specific network share, then Auto-Login (or not) is selected when you provide your User ID and password for the share.

Tony, now I am a bit confused, because with my Live Plus, if I tic Windows advanced sharing to not require a password for shares, AND I tic auto logon to ON in player settings, I do not have to use any password to get to my shared drives, etc.  I immediately enter Network Shares. For some reason, I could never get the WD to use a password even though I put in name of my PC, and password to enter it.  So, with this way, I do not have a rejected password problem.

Any additional ideas?

No, no help there…

When logging in to my PC manually, I just use the default provided “anonymous” and blank password.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

No, no help there…

When logging in to my PC manually, I just use the default provided “anonymous” and blank password.

OK,Tony,  thanks for humoring me here and responding to my questions.  I believe I have it all figured out now.  I just put the Live Plus through some paces, and see there are two parts to this equation. 

1)  For a Plus, (and likely the old Live)  in the Windows 7 Advanced Sharing section, “turn off password protected sharing” must be ticked.

2)  If in the Plus’ settings, Auto Login is OFF, one is presented with the default “anonymous” and blank password, and that can be clicked through as you said, to pass on to the Network shares with no problem.

Or , If Auto Login is turned ON, the default screen of anonymous and blank password is skipped, and one goes directly to Network shares with no problem.

Bottom line, is that Part 1 must be done or neither section of Part 2 is going to work.  Auto Logon “ON” is a convenience step to basically skip the step of going through the anonymous/password stuff.

Done deal!  Thanks!

Right, and the other formula is that, if you DO use a User ID and Password (as I do) on the Live / Live+

You must turn Auto Login OFF

Login one time with the prompts

Then turn Auto Login Back ON if desired and it will remember the previously used credentials.

Got it.  I will try this later.  Isn’t another variable in your formula above is that Win advance sharing re: passwords also should be ticked ON, not off?

mike27oct wrote:

Got it.  I will try this later.  Isn’t another variable in your formula above is that Win advance sharing re: passwords also should be ticked ON, not off?

Only indirectly.   If the Pasword Protected Sharing is turned off, then anonymous will work.   If it’s turned on, then anonymous won’t work.

The only affect that has on the WD is if you’re using Auto Login WITHOUT previously providing other credentials, in which case it will always try anonymous login and fail.  

1 Like