Q. About Sharing and data protection

The slowness of the UI update is a trademark of the firmware v4. The lack of responsiveness is typically associated with a lot of content that the NAS is still processing.

That makes me think that your not seeing the shares might just have been a UI refresh issue.

Your NAS might just be fine. It would be better with a v3.0 firmware, but just give it some time to digest all the content you uploaded.

Can you see the shares on your Windows network explorer? Is the content there?

Thanks for all your help, both Etupes and larryg0, it really meant ALOT…  I am glad to find a forum that has people answering and helping, some like this you post a question and it sits for months unanswered…

But, I found a phone # for tech support… They got remote access and fixed everything up… They did do the factory restore…  I guess I had 2 issues, my administrator email was typed wrong (I think my son typed it in as he told me he knew it by heart), admin fixed it on his side… This did cause problems with trying to fix the problem, there were places that asked for my email, then said it could not find me…

The 2nd issue, probably the major problem which started the major corruption was that under the Shares tab I turned the “Public Access” from on to off…   BIG toggle, no warnings,  makes sense this would allow people to keep their areas private… But, if you change this toggle to off the whole system goes ka-blew-eee, so you are just suppose to know not to touch it…  Turn off Public was what caused nothing to show up on the shares list, even the public, timemachine and smartware that I had left as public…

Unfortunately if you leave it on, you can’t individually set what individuals can share what areas… So, all you have is the stupid password protection, which means typing in your password every time you want to do something…  *Sigh*   (again for emphisis)  *Sigh*…

I will look at where you guys suggested the factory restore, and mark it as the answer…           

you are only seeeing the public access option when you have a share selected, correct? it only applies to that share

this is a per share setting and when you turn it off there is no access to that share. You go to the user list below and select the desired access (full, read only, or none). you can also do this by going to the user tab and selecting the user then changing the access to the shares down below the users.

the default public share is the only one that can’t be changed from the UI, none of my other shares are public

Yes that was what I turned off per each individual share profile, It had Share Name, Share Description, Media Serving then Public access…  I turned  off the public access for each the shares I set up, leaving alone the ones that are automatically created (public,timemachine,and smartwares)… This then ungreyed the users in the user access area and I changed just the individual the account belonged to to full access (which I wanted to change to husband/wifes sharing with each other)

This is the change the Tech support said was something that caused all my problems, including nothing in the share list anymore… So I got my knuckles rapped, and I was told the only thing I can use for securing the areas is by turning the passwords on under the User tab  per each user…

Wonder why you can use this feature ok, and I am told it was the cause of my major melt down…  

(Oh by the way, this morning when I couldn’t get into anything, that was fixed by unplugging and plugging back in the wdMyCloud and waiting for it to power up completely again… But, when that happened this morning, there was so much not working I didn’t know where to turn anymore.)

pulling the plug should be a last resort and could take hours to possiably days to become really usable again. if you can get into the UI do it from there

i did have some inital issues when I tried to creat shares, I can’t prove it but i believe it was do to them being partially created while the mycloud was very busy before it settled down some. I had to go into Linux to straighten it out. WD hase the share information in different locations for differnent access methodes

I would suggest no making any changes in the UI if it is not responding very well

I forgot to mention, setting a password whith shares set to public does nothing for security as you don’t need a username to access a public share

Sorry for the late response, for some reason the forum would not let me login for a few hours…

Anyway, the unplug & replug was done with the tech Support guy… I thought it took a long time for a little over 10 minutes, therefore I guess I was lucky it did not take over a day… Perhaps it is corrilated with how much you have stored on the device and it being pretty new, we have not stored that much as of yet…

With what you guys say, I am hesitantly debating trying to Public Access to off again in the Share area for each individual share, although I am told this will cause the whole thing to come crashing down again… Decisions, Decisions… 

were they possiably talking about the public share itself?

there is not a standard way to turn off public access for the public share although I recall someone reporting a certain sequence of events that allowed it. From a support standpoint you probably don’t want to turn off public access for the public share. I just don’t use it for anything.

for any other shares it would be intersting to escalate your ticket with WD as most people on here would find that completly unaccetable and there wouls be no reason to even have user accounts. I suspect the support rep just wasn’t clear or didn’t fully understand the issue, at least I hope that is the case

No the tech Rep did get my share list to show up again, and while he had remote access looked at the setup for my personal shares… With the mouse he pointed to the public access toggle and said "See that, you turned that off, you can’t do that… That is probably why you lost your list of shares…  We need to do a factory reset, then reenter all your personal shares and don’t turn the public access off… Then he went to the User tab, clicked on one of the users and pointed the the password toggle and said “See that, that is the only thing you should use to set up security”…

It seemed pretty clear what he said, especially with his pointing to the areas as he said it… But, now you got me questioning if what he said was accurate…

I was giving him the benifit of the doubt, but it appears I shouldn’t have :confounded: