Putting HDDs from failing ShareSpace into new one

Dear all,

I have an old ShareSpace, connected directly to my computer with an Ethernet cable.
It has been working fine until recently.

Recently, I’ve started facing problems: The ShareSpace, few minutes after being switched on, becomes unavailable from my computer, and the warning LEDs about the ShareSpace’s HDDs going on and off randomly, on the from panel.

So, the first few minutes, it works fine, then something goes wrong, and I guess it could be a HW problem in the ShareSpace case (e.g. fan and/or power supply…).

I would like to do a backup of all my ShareSpace files somewhere else before the ShareSpace fails definitely, but, unfortunately, it would take ages to back up all my files, considering how short the availability time window is, and if I were obliged to restart the ShareSpace every few minutes when it goes unavailable.

My question: If I were to take the HDDs from my ShareSpace, and put them into another ShareSpace, would I be able to have access to my files, provided, for exemple, that I configured a owner/user with the same login and password?

Or do you have any other idea?

I contacted WD Support, but they could not help me in this.

Thanks for your advices.

Hello,

If you take the drives out of your Sharespace and put them on another one the data on the drives will be deleted.
I recommend you try backing up the data before the drive fails.

Thanks. That’s what I was fearing.

Here are the symptoms I noticed yesterday, and why I think it is not at the HDDs level but at the ShareSpace case itself that the problem occurs:

I switched on the ShareSpace.
On my computer, from the web browser, I accessed the ShareSpace’s login page, and I logged in.
I checked the logfiles that can be displayed in the Status tab, and everything looked ok.
The HDD were displayed OK in the GUI, and the front panel’s LEDs were all green regarding the HDDs.

Then, 5 to 10 minutes later (without my doing anything), the web page got refreshed without any action, and I was shown the login page again, as if I had been kicked out/disconnected.
But I could not connect anymore, i.e. the « log in » button seemed to have stopped working.
I refreshed the page, and I still had access to the login page, but still impossible to log in (but no message whatsoever). And, of course, I could still ping it.
And, looking at the ShareSpace front panel, all the HDDs were displayed with orange LEDs.

End of the day, I had to reboot the ShareSpace to have access anew.

In conclusion, as fas as I can see, I only had access to the default page of the ShareSpace webserver, but the rest of the webserver looked stuck, since clicking on the « log in » button seemed to have no effect.
(Otherwise, if there had been problems with the HDDs only and not internal problems at the ShareSpace level, I would have had access to all the features in the ShareSpace web interface, telling me that the HDDs were indeed failing).

Now, since I have at least 2TB of data (4 x 2TB HDDs, 1&2 mirror, 3&4 mirror), that is too huge a volume to backup, considering the availability timeframe of the ShareSpace.

Would you agree on my analysis?