Purpose of the My Passport Wireless!

If your router have USB3 port, that would be great

I like the My Passport Wireless because ā€¦

I used to connect my 1TB Elements Portable HDD to my 10.1 Inch Tablet (which only has 32GB Max Storage)Ā Ā  via USB OTG cable (On-The-Go)

This worked great ā€¦ until the Tabletā€™s battery life got drained very quickly (having to provide power the 1TB HDD)

Having a My Passport Wireless is great ā€¦ lotā€™s of storage, less battery drain on the Tablet (connected via Wi-Fi)

Great for roadtrips for kids in the backseat of the car (that all have tablets and can connect via Direct Connection if there is no Network available)

When at home, the My Passport Wireless is used as a portable ā€œHotspotā€ due to lots of Wi-Fi deadzones around the house.

In closing ā€¦ GREAT device and can be used many different ways ā€¦ Love it :smiley:

My neighbour wants one nowā€¦ after me showing him, what it can do

1 Like

Cekari wrote:

@Tinwarble:

Sure you are right that is a Swiss Army Knife, but with a twist for portable. All Iā€™m saying is that there are other devices that are made for a stationary life so to say that are cheaper, faster etc.

I donā€™t believe that said anything to disagree with that.

I must play you all a song -Ā Letā€™s say yeah like a James Brown thing.

foetus wrote:

I must play you all a song - Letā€™s say yeah like a James Brown thing.

You kids and your noise. :smileyvery-happy:

I think all I was able to understand was Volkswagen.

@Cekari

You are a helpful and knowledgeable guy, but at this point you are beating on a dead horse!

Yea, we know you said " there are other devices that are made for a stationary life" more than once, and I and most others here have those devices and if we want to put our MPW on the network, it is not a ā€œfringā€ use of it in any way, shape, or form. so letā€™s all talk about something else now!

BTW:Ā  There are plenty of mis-informed and completely wrong reviewers of MPW at Amazon you can help out, so check it out!Ā  :dizzy_face:

I think all I was able to understand was Volkswagen.

Turn it up much louder and listen to the spoken part at the very beginning ā€“ ā€œyouā€™ve gotta be your own dog; like a James Brown thing!ā€

Bow, Wow, when my MPW breaks, I can then use it as a coaster to rest my beer on ā€“ but not until!

@ mike27oct

Yes, you are right, sometimes I go on like a parrot. Going to zip my lips for nowĀ :stuck_out_tongue:

@ Tinwarble

Sorry, wasnā€™t ment to sound like that, I liked your post but the parrot just couldnā€™t shut upĀ :flushed:

@ Cekari

Please check PM (mail icon in upper right corner of the forum page)

I bought mine with the intention of using it as a media server in my car. Ā I use an android phone with an OEM car dock that connects to my stereo via phono plug, so using the stock DLNA player I can listen to music streamed from twonky on the MPW, in my car. Ā It works perfect for that.

I was even able to set up rsa key ssh access between it and my mybook world so that it automatically pulls new media from the nas using rsync every time it connects to the home network. Ā So I can continue adding to my collection at home, and I always have an automatically synced copy of my entire music collection with me in my car. Ā Iā€™ve even left the MPW in my car for a few days, charging whenever I drove it, and on battery while parked outside, and it kept itself up to date, and even if I drove away in the middle of an rsync, leaving partial files, rsync worked it out the next time I parked out front. Ā Really cool.

There are so many other things I can use this for. Ā This thing is basically a fully functioning raw linux server, itā€™ll pretty much do whatever any other network connected linux box can do, once you install the right package Ā or know how to enable it. Ā I might even run snort on it and log all kinds of things the wlan adapter picks up as I drive around. Ā Or maybe go crazy with a home brewed php based media server or playlist creator. Ā I would love to integrate some echo nest APIs into twonky to make my own personalized playlist creator that picks the next song based on previous selections or what ever.

This thing is goin gto be more fun than I expected.

Sounds like a great workflow to have, just sorry itā€™s way over my head on how to :slight_smile:

As for me, I bought it as an external drive I didnā€™t need to plug with a wire but could use both from a PC, and from a laptop, and from a tablet, and from a phone as well. Extremely portable. I work with my files wherever I am: at home, in office (mine ore my partnersā€™ or clientsā€™ etc), in my car, in restaurant and so on, and I donā€™t have to copy my files from one device to another one. MPW is always in my briefcase and all I have to do to use it is to put it on. Moreover, itā€™s very useful with a tablet: I can edit and save my documents directly on MPW without their copying to the tablet (itā€™s much harder when you use an external SD card in last versions of Android). Very useful unit.

The only thing Iā€™d improve is safety. Itā€™s too simple to restore factory defaults and all secure settings become useless therefore.