Purple wrong firmware update (WD10PURX)

So, today I did a really dumb thing:

I updated my WD10PURX using the tool from this link: Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

I know - stupidest thing to do. I did not read that it was only for REDs -.-’

Anyway, I executed the command “wd5741.exe -?” to see what my options are.
After that I did “wd5741.exe -dall” as it was explained to “Update all applicable drives”.
And after that it updated my WD10PURX firware successfully.

It was only after the update that I read that it was meant only for RED drives.

I rebooted the PC a few times to see if the drive still works - and it does.

Is there any way to revert to the stock firmware? Should I be worried? Any help appreciated.

Hello 0v3rl0rd,

We strictly recommend our customer not to attempt to run this software on any hard drives other than the RED drives and we don’t have any stock firmware available for your WD10PURX.

It’s great to know the drive is still working fine however doing so may damage the hard drive beyond repair and your data may be lost. I would recommend you to backup your data on a different location.

As I said - I didn’t read that it was meant only for REDs - my mistake.

Now that the firmware is updated, and that the drive is working: is there any tool I can run to see if everything is alright with the drive?

Hello 0v3rl0rd,

You can test your drive using Data LifeGuard Diagnostics:

1 Like

Hello Sir,
I am a very old and faithful customer of Western Digital India.
This time i am using approx 50 hard drives of western digital Purple And Green in my digital labs.
One of my friend created an RMA for his 2TB Hard drive which was physically broken and your company
sent to him absolutely brand new hard drive.
And When i sent my hard drives which are in good condition then your Western Digital India saying to me.
That they will not provide me hard drives. against my RMA. as they are Manipulated.

your Indian Western Digital is trying to fraud with me.
i had subbmitted my hard drives perfectly IN fine condition on your drop point center Patna.
i am innocent and i want my hard drives against my RMA #87210888 and my RMA #87231720
I HAD SUBMITTED total 8 Hard drives of 2TB PURPLE 4+4. 4 HARD DRIVE IN EACH RMA
And one thing that you will loose your old and faithful customer.
My drives are not manipulated.
I want the drives.
Till date i never buy a single drive of another brand except western digital.
if you will not provide me hard drives against my RMA. I will go to the consumer court.
And will never buy a single hard drive of Western Digital.
I HAVE A VERY GOOD FAITH ON Western Digital but Now i WILL ASSUME THAT Company cheat people and doing fraud things.
Thanks
Shivam Jaiswal

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.