What I want to do:
I would like to purchase the smallest server in this line - the 4TB version with two internal drives and four slots - and add two of my own hard drives to the extra bays to increase the capacity.
I already have western digital 1 TB drives and 1.5 TB drives in the office - do not want to buy more drives - but they are not the "RE" version drives mentioned in the product specs. RE stands for RAID Edition.
I want to just add my 'typical' standard drives and take advantage of the RAID 5 functionality.
I would also like to ask for the following information:
1) Is the capacity of the 4TB version expandable if I add my own hard drives (in addition to what they have in there already)
2) Is there problems with adding standard drives instead of the RE drives?
3) Is there problems with implementing the RAID 5?
4) Is there problems with drives of different size (first two bays will be 2 TB and two I want to add will be 1.5TB - some servers will not be able to handle this)
5) Is there problems with remote access - adding large amounts of data via remote user, apple users, other things? The remote access functions are key for us.
6) Is there any router incompatibility issues?
7) Is there any configuration issues with Comcast internet service?
8) Is the operating system included on these units the best for my purposes? The file sharing here in the office (three or four computers) and remote access by 3 or 4 users.
Thank you in advance!