I wired MBL to my Gbit wireless router. My WinXP desktop PC is wired to the router. My devices are the WinXP PC, Win7 laptop, iPad, and 2 iPhones. The MBL has the default Public folder. I setup 2 Shares (one for each person, UserA and UserB for this discussion). The UserA, UserB, and Admin have full rights to each other.
- The iPad/iPhones apps work fine with the MBL Apps on the iDevices.
- The desktop/laptop works fine if I use the internet connection through WD2GO to access the UserA/B shares. WD2GO opens the Win Explorer folders and I can use as expected.
- If I use WD Quickview on the PCs (whether mapping or Open menu selections), I can access the Public folder no problem. I can see the UserA/B shares. However, doubleclicking Win Explorer UserA or B folders to open the a share brings up the user/password box. It will not accept the user and/or password that I enter (it doesn’t say which). these are the same ones I use through WD2GO internet with no problem whatsoever.
- Using NET USE * /DELETE from other posts on the forum doesn’t have anything listed.
I have tried everything I can think of with no luck. Does the MBL have to be in the same WorkGroup that my PCs on the network are? If so, how do I set that in the MBL?
Thanks for help.
To change the Workgroup in the MBL you must login to the UI: http://mybooklive, then Settings > Network > Workgroup.
Thanks. That got it in the right workgroup. It didn’t fix the #3 problem.
3. If I use WD Quickview on the PCs (whether mapping or Open menu selections), I can access the Public folder no problem. I can see the UserA/B shares. However, doubleclicking Win Explorer UserA or B folders to open the a share brings up the user/password box. It will not accept the user and/or password that I enter (it doesn’t say which). these are the same ones I use through WD2GO internet with no problem whatsoever.
Its the same issue i got. I heard that is due to windows functionality.
I gave up after trying for too long. I realise that the best folder is the public folder. Bcos it is impossible to dictate to the MBL when you want to use public and private folders.
For me I wanted to separate both work and play folders on the ipad but retain control via my home PC. 2 issues:
due to windows functionality, it is impossible to edit the work and play (private shares) on my home PC using the admin ID/password. system will prompt for id/password no matter how many times i map.
on the ipad, wd2go cannot readily allow switching between work and play private shares. the app logs you out and ask for a new authentication code. something that is impossible to get on the road (unless u use a laptop)
in the end to be able to use on all my devices, i realise only the public folder works. it also means that i find it impossible to share the mbl with my clients due to issue 1.
Hope WD is reading. Thanks. I hate to keep everything in the public folders. Pretty much defeats shares for a lot of uses. Overall, I really like what this will do. However, WD has a significant ways to go in user functionality for something that is suppossed to be transparent as to location (cloud). Even if they come out with paid apps, I would pay if I could get the functionality one expects from a “cloud” type network. This has the potential to be excellent if they will bring it up to modern useages.