PST on MyCloud

This is my first post and even after a bit of a research i need your help:

I read quite a bit about Outlook pst files and how to backup. My question is: Can i outsource the pst file onto the MyCloud and work from my Notebook. So accessing the mails via the pst on the MyCloud?

Is this feasible and how long does it take to open a mail?

Maybe someone has some experience already.

Thanks in advance for hijacking someones knwoledge.

My knowledge of Outlook PST files is only from using Outlook 2007 on Windows XP machines at work. I’d expect later versions of Windows to behave similarly. I have heard a rumour at work that more recent versions of Outlook dispense with PST files; no idea if this is true, but I’m sure Google will reveal the truth…

For my personal email folders at work, I smply move them to a local disk on the PC, rather than the corporate networked mail server. Having done this, I simply use the Outlook menu to open the PST folder, and point to the location of the PST folder. Thereafter, Outlook reconnects and the personal mail folders work just like any other mail folder.

So my suggestion would be to ensure that you have the MyCloud mapped as a named drive into Windows file system (see p23 of the User Manual). Then copy your PST file to a location on the MyCloud, and open the PST file in Outlook.

Since a mapped MyCloud is a network drive, it should be transparent to Windows OS, and behave just like any other drive, be it internal to the PC, USB or networked.

Mircosoft does not recommand to store PST-Files on a Network-Drive

I think I’m probably with ‘Sam’ on this, who commented on that article:

We have been storing outlook 2003 pst on our file servers for years with no problems. However, with 2010 we now have loads of data corruption where the pst zeroes back to 64k.
I get a feeling that this is a deliberately ploy by MS. If this happens with our 2003 from now on, I will know.

I suspect it is to push their Exchange Server, which is probably what our corporate email will migrate to, deprecating PST files.