PSA: macOS Big Sur (11.0) is coming this fall

Hello,

Public Service Announcement for WD MCH developers @WDStaff .

Please could you ensure MCH is ready on day one for macOS Big Sur when it comes out.

Documentation is scarce so far for non developers but it appears there are changes on several topics of interest for MCH.

First, there are changes for Time Machine, it appears that it supports APFS formatted drive / sparse bundle for saving as indicated here: https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/hghcvy/apple_adds_apfs_encrypted_drive_support_to_ios_14/
I guess only SMB will be supported. => please add Time Machine over SMB.

Kernel extensions are being deprecated so maybe you want to make sure WD Discovery still works (https://developer.apple.com/support/kernel-extensions/). Another solution could be to move to the FileProvider API.

Please let us know you have this taken care off to prevent the discontents from the two last years…

Best regards

AF

3 Likes

I doubt there will be any day one compatibility if we go off the way the last 2 Mac OS updates went.

Good message to the devs though, would have been nice for a reply. Any official stance @SBrown?

2 Likes

Wasn’t the previous compatibility update around 2-3 months after the public release? This is a much bigger release than Catalina, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s longer this time. I also remember communication being a large problem with the last release, so I’m glad to see people reaching out proactively now already.

Fingers crossed.

There has not yet been a reply to this post, dear @WD_Admin & @WDStaff.

It would be nice to have to reassurances that WD is actually working on fixing these issues.

2 Likes

2 months of prior notice and still no acknowledgment. Wonder how long it’ll take this time.

1 Like

I’m on Apple’s beta program and updated prior to realizing this would be an issue. Very disappointed that WD has not been proactive in the past. I had to completely change my workflow and have lost hours of productivity. On a side note, I enjoy the improvements in Big Sur. @WD_Admin

1 Like

I echo that last post, it’s going to be a long haul to get access again from Big Sur, I too have installed the Beta on an external HD, but at the present won’t install it fully on my MBP until WD get on board as all my music and movies are on my NAS.

I’m not sure how mycloud is developed that each time there’s a new OS it breaks. It’s a really poor experience and will factor into my decision on whether to buy another external drive from them. I hope they can work this out because it’s a deal breaker.

1 Like

and also this time it breaks. Please let us know how many days more are needed… also new installation can’t fixed it. please help us, without finder integration it makes no sense

1 Like

Yup, that’s what happened last time, and has been occurring this update as well. The only workaround I’ve been able to use is the browser version, but the upload/download rates on that are wayyyyyy slower than through Finder.

If it takes this long to update it for an OS release, I shudder to think about how long it’ll take to work on the ARM-based Macs coming soon.

Same thing happened last year, it took almost two months after catalina release for WD to come up with patch, I thought this year will be different but I guess I’m wrong, I did upgrade to big sur beta and voila unable to access drive :joy: total joke, I just need to be patient @SBrown

Seems like WD is definately working on it this year.

The software can be downloaded from this link: How to Install WD Discovery on macOS 11 Big Sur

Personally I had some issues with it making my Macbook crash, but at leat the drive shows up in finder

2 Likes

WoW!

How did you get your hand on it?

The knowledge base article is dated September 30th, updated October 7th.

Would you mind telling us know the version numbers for both Discovery and My Cloud Desktop?

Well it is pretty reassuring, maybe the longer development time has helped.

best

It was basically a coincidence how I found it, was googling WD My Cloud Home Big Sur and came a cross this (https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/gr3iz6/considering_that_the_wd_my_cloud_software_is_yet/) on reddit that linked to it…

I wish Western Digital had a customers’ forum where they could put that kind of information out… :exploding_head:

2 Likes

Heh, thanks for the download @Luckyseven. If only there was a place WD could make a post telling us about this release!

1 Like