Pronlems with fast forward function

I hope someone can help.

I have two units at home.  one is the WD TV HD and the other is the WD TV Live.  They both have the latest firmware.  I have the same problem with BOTH units.

When i try to fast forward certain WMV files i can’t fast forward more than 4x.  If I go beyond 4x the file stops playing and the player takes me back to menu page of all my files.  Furthermore, if i restrict myself to only usine the 2x or 4x file I still have a problem because as soon as i get to the spot on the video that i want to start watching from and hit the “play” button on the remote it again immediately stops playing the file and takes me back to the menu page of all my video files.

I can’t figure out why this happens with some files but not others.  If anyone could help that would be much appreciated.

thanks for your kind help.

1 Like

I have the exact same problem.  Basically it renders fast forward useless.

I have a WD TV Live Plus with the latest firmware.

This happens on all of my higher quality WMV9 movies.  Any low quality movie and this is not an issue.

I am playing the movies from an attached hard drive.

I can fast forward at x2 and x4, but x8+ it drops me back at the previous menu.

When I hit play after x2 or x4 it places me back at the previous menu.

Yep, sounds like we have exactly the same problem.  I get it with the majority of my high quality movies/clips (not every single one) but unlike you I also get it from time to time on my lower qulaity clips but with less frequency.

You are right, it effectively renders the FF button useless.  I guess there are no solutions to this problem, right?

Windows Media files where never supposed to be played on anything else than Windows, right?

I’m happy they are watchable at all on anything else than an M$ machine :wink:

Gunner, I think you are missing the point…

I have no idea of what protocols microsoft used when developing their particular product nor do i care.  what i care about is the fact that the WD products that I have bought clearly state that they play-back certain Video formats (such as MPEG1/2/4).  The WD website does not say that "this product plays back MPEG1/2/4, except for microsoft media files).

I’m not asking the units I bought to do anything novel.  I’m simply asking them to do what they claim to be able to do on the box and in this regard they’re failures.

No offence, but the playback of the files isn’t the problem here. Fast forwarding is.

So WD is not lying, really :wink:

Dont get me wrong, it really ■■■■■ not being able to ffw or rew moviefiles.

I have seen this happen with some files and have learned to accept it.

I really hope the issue can be resolved, until then I stick to files WD TV can handle.

I don’t agree with you at all. 

When I buy a retail product such as this I expect it to function without any caveats/excuses/if buts or ands unless the same are clearly mentioned in the sales material.

When was the last time you bought a DVD player or a CD player only to find that it plays the source material but does not allow it to be forwarded or rewound?  According to your logic the consumer would have no right to complain as the unit plays the source material and it is only some of the functionality which is failing.  Your argument is flawed not to mention legally indefensible.   A retail consumer has a right to expect the product to have full functionality, as advertised by the manufacturer, when used in a normal or prescribed fashion.  WD products state that they are compatible with MPEG files.  To FF or REW is part of normal functionality.

I hope you’re not offended.

You’re right. I’ve never bought a DVD and then upgraded the firmware to get features not being there in the first place.

And as I said in my previous post; I hope the issue gets resolved in the next firmware.

I choose to wait and see.

If you consider it to be a dealbreaker not being able to FF and REW mpeg files, I’m sure you can return the unit.

And, I’m not offended :slight_smile: