Programming Harmony 300 for volume

Hey all, just picked up a WD TV Live Hub to replace my Win XP MCPC.  Works great.

Since I run it to a projector, I have no “TV”, so no TV remote.  I plug the audio out directly into powered speakers (which also have no remote).  I was surprised the TV LH remote does not have volume control *sigh* - but so be it. 

After reading a bunch of threads that said the Harmony remotes were plug and play, I went and picked one up.  I programmed it with the WD TV Live Hub profile from MyHarmony.com.  Volume control doesn’t work.

So…  how do I get volume control to work on the Harmony remote?  I dont have a remote that it can learn from.

Programming the 300 only the MyHarmony site is easy, but it contains no commands for volume.  I think I have been duped by the world wide interweb.  *sigh*

You know, there is a volume control if you use the android app on a smart phone or a tablet but the Hub has to be connected to a network for that to work. I have wondered if there actually is an IR code for this?? Could I get it somehow and program it into my Harmony 880?

Anyone?

Without a remote to learn from you are out of luck. I have my Harmony 1 setup so that when using the Live Hub the audio controls my receiver since that is my sound source when watching movies. You could set it up to control the TV audio, but you have have that remote to program from.

Like I said, I run my WDTV right to powered speakers.  I have no TV, I use a projector.  The powered speakers have no remote.

I am a little irked at all the postings that said “no volume?  easy, get a harmony remote”.  Missed the part about you need an audio source that has volume control through an IR.  *sigh* but its the internet - learned another lesson.

I guess I’ll fork out for an android device.  What a PIA.

I assume that you are irked at yourself for missing the part about needing a controllable audio source. You cannot blame the internet or other posters for your error unless you asked straight out if a harmony remote would control the player.

You say that you have no remote to learn from so perhaps you do not realise that there is no volume control on the actual WD remote, it has only ever appeared on the iphone / smartphone apps.

richUK wrote:
You say that you have no remote to learn from so perhaps you do not realise that there is no volume control on the actual WD remote, it _ has only ever appeared on the iphone / smartphone apps _.

Here’s MY question, again… Since there IS a volume control via the apps is it possible there may be a “hidden” IR command for Vol Up/Vol down?

A  “hidden” internet browser was discovered…maybe there is a hidden volume level too!

flhthemi wrote:


richUK wrote:
You say that you have no remote to learn from so perhaps you do not realise that there is no volume control on the actual WD remote, it _ has only ever appeared on the iphone / smartphone apps _.


Here’s MY question, again… Since there IS a volume control via the apps is it possible there may be a “hidden” IR command for Vol Up/Vol down?

 

A  “hidden” internet browser was discovered…maybe there is a hidden volume level too!

 

 

I agree that there is a good possibility but it may be a bit difficult to find unless you try a number of IR commands. I will not be bothering to look as it does not affect me, I just a different remote to turn down the TV / amp sound.

flhthemi wrote:

Here’s MY question, again… Since there IS a volume control via the apps is it possible there may be a “hidden” IR command for Vol Up/Vol down?

 

A  “hidden” internet browser was discovered…maybe there is a hidden volume level too!

 

 

I highly doubt it. The hidden browser was simply a byproduct of the Live Hub being able to access the internet. It wasn’t something actually built into the hub, which is why it isn’t documented. Access to IR commands would have to have been built in or prgrammed in and it makes no sense that if they did that they would have purposely left out the buttons to access it.

I have to wonder why a set of powered speakers has no ability to control volume level remotely? Do they require the user to manually adjust volume? If they can take a variable input then it should be coming from the OP’s projector. Does that not have a remote with volume control? If he’s connected via HDMI to the projector, it should still have some way to control volume of the input device’s signal. The audio from the LH is line level and not controllable. It is dependent upon either a display with its own audio processor or an amp/receiver to control output level. The LH is simply another component much like the tuner or tape deck in a stereo system. By itself it is not designed to output controllable audio.

Of course the live hub has the capability of controlling the audio output as the the smartphone app has a volume control which controls the hdmi and line output to a separate amp. Powered speakers without a remote are also very common. You should also remember that until the app came out we never knew that the volume could be controlled so its not beyond reason that there may be some unused remote codes.

richUK wrote:
Of course the live hub has the capability of controlling the audio output as the the smartphone app has a volume control which controls the hdmi and line output to a separate amp. Powered speakers without a remote are also very common. You should also remember that until the app came out we never knew that the volume could be controlled so its not beyond reason that there may be some unused remote codes.

Completely different scenario. The smartphone app is not outputting an IR signal to the Live Hub. 

Until the app came out we were all unaware of the volume control and from your original statement I assume that you were still in the dark regarding this function. There may be other things that we are also in the dark about. However as I have said the function is not important to me.

Unimportant to me, as well. Just don’t want to give hope to the OP as I don’t see this as a hidden feature.