Program for video instead of MyCloud? Buffering?

Hi all,

One of the main reasons I bought this device was so that I could use it as a sort of personal Dropbox for IOS videos, most of my encoded files are around 10-12GB and are all within spec of what an iPad can play. Instead of re-encoding my files in handbrake I have been remuxing them and changing the surround sound to AAC.

However all my videos stop playing what I can only assume to buffer when I play back these files, my iPad is connected via 5Ghz with full signal strength and my movies playback fine from Plex at highest 1080p settings. 

I am assuming it is the app at this point as my files playback from a Dune HD fine, I know that iPad can play these files back on plex. I don’t really want to have to re-encode all my movies that I have already encoded and I don’t want to pay a cloud media storage company money to host hard drive space for me as I would like full control of my media.

I think if the app had some sort of buffer or something along those lines or was more geared towards video this may work better but at the minute I am not sure what else I can try?

Your post sounds more like a good Feature Request; the best place for this, is in the Ideas Exchange section. This way someone from WD will be sure to see it and will allow more users to support your idea.

However, I would first search and make sure that there are no other active Feature Requests suggesting the same or similar improvements. If there is, then you could add your post and vote on it.

Personal Cloud Ideas

Yes it happens to me. I take videos with my DSLR in MOV format. Getting the app to play it on my Ipad mini before buffering is impossible. However, other apps have similar problems or desing faults. For example, VLC (I know millions swear by it) but craps itself when playing MOV, even worse than WD app. However, using Vidon or Twonky beam, they play beautifully with no stutter or/and minimal buiffering. Search for apps and try what suits you. Most of them are DLNA aware, and some even have FTP.

I have now added this in the Personal Cloud Ideas, to me the ability to playback compatible video should be part of the  fundamental design of MyCloud not something that needs to be added in my opinion.

http://community.wd.com/t5/Personal-Cloud-Ideas/Better-video-playback-in-MyCloud-app/idi-p/735944

If you want your videos to playback without stutter give it a vote :smiley:

1 Like