Products preloaded with WD’s My Cloud OS 5?

Which products come with WD’s My Cloud OS 5 pre-loaded?

The reason I ask is the internet is full of horror stories of people losing access to their devices when they try to upgrade from WD’s My Cloud OS 3 to WD’s My Cloud OS 5 and I would be a bit more confident in making a purchase if I new the product ships with WD’s My Cloud OS 5 pre-loaded.

Likely no way to know for certain unless WD is actively putting that information on their product boxes or they introduce a new product that is OS5 only. The problem you will face until either of those happen is the supply chain is likely full of OS3 products that will attempt to update to OS5 when the customer sets the device up (allows it broadband access).

@fpmorrison
As Bennor said, check the information provided for the product.

My Cloud EX2100 (wd.com)

Network Attached & Personal Cloud Storage - NAS Drives & Servers | Western Digital

Thanks for the reply.

According to the WD suggestion tool, I would purchase a My Cloud Expert Series EX2 Ultra 4TB model, but, after downloading the PDF’s for the manuals, they say it comes with OS3, so it looks like I need to find a different vendor for my NAS needs if I’m not willing to risk bricking the device as it tries to upgrade to OS5.

There is also a link for the OS5 user manual too, it is in HTML format. It will all come down to when the unit was manufactured, boxed and shipped into the supply chain and what OS is loaded to it during manufacture.

One will likely have better luck updating an out of the box brand new My Cloud unit to OS5 when it isn’t loaded with user data/files and had it’s default settings reconfigured/changed/modified. Not sure if one can update a diskless EX2 Ultra to OS5 before installing their own hard drives to the unit.

Generally though one will have a similar issue with other manufacturer’s NAS units. Having to update the unit to the latest firmware/operating system after purchase. Know I had to do it with a Synology unit when it was initially booted for the first time. Unfortunately, how ever remote, there will always exist the possibility of a firmware update causing a problem. Rule of thumb is to backup the device’s data and it’s settings (if possible) before updating the firmware.

Normally, I have no qualms about plugging in a brand new device and letting it update to the latest firmware/software.

However, the horror stories I have read online about people trying to upgrade their existing devices from OS3 to OS5 and losing valuable data makes me pause.

Throw in the articles about how WD seemed to have rushed OS5 out to just to make sure they didn’t suffer the public humiliation of their OS3 hacker vulnerability (that the first release of OS5 didn’t fully fix) by way of the unprotected “nobody” userid and blank password that was going to occur at a hacker conference makes me wary of changing out my old, reliable but aging MyBook Live for a newer/supported WD device that can run OS5.

At least I’ve turned off internet access now that I know that WD does not put a lot of effort into making sure their NAS’es aren’t susceptible to ransomware attacks.

Do any of the NAS vendors take ransomware attacks seriously or is it just a case of “oh gee, if we want to continue making money off these things, we should at least make a cosmetic effort to claim our devices are secure, even if they really aren’t”?

I will say for some of the NAS units we have had a Year or more of almost monthly firmware updates.
so some things are getting attention.

and It was once the popular opinion that Linux was immune to zero - day exploits too.
then there was Log4j.

https://os5releasenotes.mycloud.com/#/
edited to add yesterday new firmware update