PROBLEMS with WD Passport WD2500 25OGB hard drive

Hi all,

I have purchased a WD hard drive, and no matter how many times, or which USB socket I use, the new Hardware Installation wisard keeps popping up.

I have donwloaded the sychronisation software; that did not work.

Followed instructions with regards to device manager, WD driver not installed.

What options do I have?

Kind regards

Julie Anne

The new hardware wizard will keep popinng up until you install the ses device driver here are instructions on how to install it

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3739&p_created=1253918879&p_sid=ZXhzspkk&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_srch=1&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MzgsMzgmcF9wcm9kcz0mcF9jYXRzPSZwX3B2PSZwX2N2PSZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PXNlcw!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

yThanks for the reply. However the link provided assumed that one has the virtual CD in order to be able to install the SES driver by one self. That CD I do not have.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Julie Anne

What is the model of you unit? Is it the passport se please provide model number if possible

Hi,

Here is the info requested:

WD P/N: WD2500ME-00 4808A

R/N: A7B

Hello JulieAnne

Please remove the serial number from the post. This is  For your safety

As for the harddrive is this a laptop or desktop if a desktop make sure it is connected to the back of the computer and not with a hub or exstention

Hi,

The external drive is attached already at the back of the Desktop and still the installation wizard keeps popping up. Did a quick search in C: drive to see if the SES drive has been installed and no luck there.

Furthemore, answering possible other reasons:

a) Used the device once, aka now.

b) Have NOT dropped it.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Julie Anne

What is the installation wizard asking to install the passport or a software? If its asking to install the passport then maybe you should check the conection of the data cable.

I also suggest you use the data life guard to runs tests on that drive here is the link

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=203&lang=en

Hi again,

It most definetly asks for the USB device. The clue I think is “Unknown USB device”. :slight_smile: Trying to be funny here in a desperate situation!!!

Also rund the diagnostics and everything returns OK.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Julie Anne

Does that drive appear in disk management? In device manager try unistalling the Unknown device then disconnect for 5 seconds then reconnect it should reocgnize it then by any chance are you useing Windows 7 if so this device is not compatible with windows 7

Hi again,

Thanks for the quick reply. As previously mentioned the device does not appear at Disk management. The OS used is Windows XP and it does not appear in device management. Still no luck I am afraid.

Any further ideas?

Kind regards

Julie Anne

Do you have administrator privileges in your PC? If not you can’t install USB devices nor any software that would make system changes.

You can check this by right clicking start button on Windows XP taskbar. If you are an administrator in your PC, you should see Open All Users/Explorer All Users in the popup dialog menu.

If not, you have to find the real admin in your PC to install devices drives.

Mabikay - SLK

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …

Hi guys again,

Yes I am the admin.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

Julie Anne

Okay…

Check the following:

1. Do you have Windows XP SP1, 2 or 3 installed in your PC? – If not download and install Windows Service pack 1 and 2 then turn on Auto update.  (USB2 support only available from SP1 onwards -  Use Microsoft Update site – You need to have legit copy of XP)

2. How old is your PC? (5~6 Years or less) - If your PC is old,  you may have rusted or dust filled USB ports. Look carefully inside USB ports with a flash light. Gold connection pins should be clean.

3. Are you using any other USB Hard Disk drive in this PC? - Using a pen drive in an USB port is not an indication of a healthy USB port. External USB drive draw ten times more current than a pen (flash) drive.

No external device driver is needed for USB disk drive. If you have SP 1 onwards, windows will install a native driver.

About SES driver:

This is an optional driver used for communication of S.M.A.R.T. protocols between PC and the drive. And is only used for onboard diagnostics. You don’t need this driver installed just to use an external drive.

If all above has no issue, try reading the Post here…

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Passport-for-PC/How-to-eliminate-potential-problems-on-USB-Powered-Drives-and/td-p/118262

(You don’t need to cover all the stuff there, just read connection issues)

If all above fails, you may have a bad drive I am afraid… keep us posted.

Mabikay - SLK

Click the Kudos star to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the ‘Accept as Solution’ button for the post that solved your issue. …