Problems with my Wd tv live and external hard disk My passport

Hello I have bought an external hard disk my passport (1 Tb) and I also bought a WD tv live when I connect the hard disk in my Wd Tv Live, the WD tv Live dont recognize the disk. But the Wd tv live recognize another disks. What can I do?, thanks for helping me, i am very worry, excuse my english, I am in Colombia. byee

The USB light does not turn on?   

Does your PC recognize the disk?

yesvari85 wrote:

Hello I have bought an external hard disk my passport (1 Tb) and I also bought a WD tv live when I connect the hard disk in my Wd Tv Live, the WD tv Live dont recognize the disk. But the Wd tv live recognize another disks. What can I do?, thanks for helping me, i am very worry, excuse my english, I am in Colombia. byee

Welcome to the forums.

In addition to Tony’s questions, it would help us to know how you formatted the disc (NTFS or FAT) – if you’ve never done so it would be a good idea to try that (and I’d use NTFS).

I am having the same problem as the original.

The light does not come on my WD TV, however the light does come on my 1TB Passport.

My Passport is formatted to NTFS file system.

Any ideas?

I had a similar problem and it “magically” went away. Here is the progression of what I was doing to diagnose.

I reformatted the drive (windows 7 and ntfs)

I recopied my videos and media to the drive.

The drive would show up as connected… (either 1 or 2 port on WD) and after a couple of mins the USB light on front of WD box would flash (thats the library getting built/scan of HDD) and if I then went to play a movie, it would go about 5 mins and then apparently “disconnect” the drive from the WD box (USB light would go black).

After this point… it would no longer recognize the drive on either port UNLESS I hit the EJECT button… within about 15 seconds of plugging the drive in… and then it would repeat the scan, allow movie to play and then disconnect suddenly.

The drive had no problems on my Win XP or 2 Win 7 boxes… 

Then… suddenly… one day I plugged it in, I immediately went to Video/file folders and started playing the first Mp4 in one of the dirs… after a couple of mins the USB light started flashing… but this time it stopped flashing after about 10 mins and stayed solid. Ever since (I have not powered off the box or the HD)  it has been on and available. 

If it recurs I will post further diagnostics and what may have caused the sudden correction.

I’ve bought a WD Elements 2TB drive and got the same problem with my WDTV Live. No light no device… on my PC and bluray player this drive will be recignised perfectly. I really woder why WD ist not even testing drives with their own hardware ?

Thorgal wrote:

I’ve bought a WD Elements 2TB drive and got the same problem with my WDTV Live. No light no device… on my PC and bluray player this drive will be recignised perfectly. I really woder why WD ist not even testing drives with their own hardware ?

Did you read the KBA article on the 2TB Elements drive?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5482

Does that apply?

Oh great. Now i’ll have to buy another 2TB drive in order to store my data and waste a couple of hours because WD can’t do anything right. What a nice way to make people buy two instead of a single drive…

I agree it’s frustrating that the same vendor of hardware for both made such an error.

On the bright side… if you buy the same drive again… you can format it, copy over from the old drive to it, (make sure it works with WD TV) , reformat the original drive and box it up in the newer ones packaging… return it (the format will wipe your data so it is clean). At least you wont be out cash…

RoBaer wrote:

I agree it’s frustrating that the same vendor of hardware for both made such an error.

On the bright side… if you buy the same drive again… you can format it, copy over from the old drive to it, (make sure it works with WD TV) , reformat the original drive and box it up in the newer ones packaging… return it (the format will wipe your data so it is clean). At least you wont be out cash…

That is the most inacurate advice I’ve seen in a long time.   Not only would it be fraud (because you are NOT returning the device you purchased, as would be verified by comparing the S/N on the box versus on the unit)  but telling people that a FORMAT WIPES YOUR  DATA is WRONG.   I guarantee you that I could recover everything on that disk in just a few minutes.

Anyone who did such a thing could be prosecuted for larceny.   

petit larceny… and you’re way over the top if you think that this was the most inaccurate advice you have heard in a long time. I am not even sure there inaccuracy at all… certainly ill advised and misleading… but inaccurate advice would be to have recommended a technical solution that would not have succeeded. 

Either way you are correct that the “right” thing to do would be to return the original drive in its original packaging after purchasing a competing vendors hard drive and moving the data to it. His disdain for WD’s incompetence in producing a hard drive that was not formatted “correctly” for the WD TV box should have precluded my advising him to give them another sale tick.

Heheh… Touche’…  

The inaccurate advise I was speaking to was the suggestion that a FORMAT would erase data and would then be “clean”, which is wholly and totally false, thus a technical solution that would not have succeeded.  ;)

agreed