Problems with AIF audio files

I’m having problems getting my Live TV to play AIF files.  I’m accessing files from a NAS using a wired network connection.  The audio files are encoded from CDs using iTunes AIFF encoder.

I can’t see the files listed under the WD Live TV music menu.  If I encode the files using Apple Lossless Encoder (.m4a), I can see the files but they won’t play (Live TV just skips through them).

The .aif files are around 1400kbps and the .m4a files are around 1100kbps.

Audio files encoded with AAC (also .m4a) work fine, but the problem is that my CD s are archived in lossless codecs.

Any ideas how I can play the .aif or lossless .m4a files?

I’ve got another problem that my Live TV won’t see ISO files, but I’ll try to fix that audio problem first.

Thanks.

I have just encoded a .aif and that works perfectly OK. (I have not got Itunes on my computer so I used another program). Are you accessing your files via the NAS media server? Try using network shares. It may be that your media server is not able to pass .aif files. 

Thanks.

I tried that, but accessing through network share gives the message that the folder contains no media.  Incidently, this happens when I try network share for any media type.  Does that give any clues to the problem?

Well, your first post says that it WILL show you M4A files, right?

So, apparently your shares are working.

The only thing that comes to mind now is that it may be a file-name issue that’s preventing them from displaying.

Does the iTunes AIFF encoder use DRM?

It will see M4A files when accessed through Media Servers, but doesn’t see anything through network shares.

As far as I can tell, there’s nothing abnormal about the file names.

Thanks.

sqartyblodge wrote:

Thanks.

I tried that, but accessing through network share gives the message that the folder contains no media.  Incidently, this happens when I try network share for any media type.  Does that give any clues to the problem?

I would assume that your problem would be with your network shares. I streamed my .aif file via network shares with no problem.

OK - I’ve now tried accessing the files from a USB stick and get the same problem.  So presumably all this suggests that it is a problem with the files.  If that’s the case, can anybody tell me how to rip lossless audio files that allow tagging and album art that I can play with the WD Live TV?

I’m not familiar with Mac ripping software but while you’re at it you might wanna rip to FLAC instead which is supported by the LIVE.