Problems with a 500Gb WD Caviar Black

Hello,

I have a hd from a failed raid that was not being detected in the windows explorer screen but was being detected by the hardware monitor, DLGDIAG, and bios. I ran the extended test with DLGDIAG and it passed that.  I have inserted my windows 7 disk and was able to see the hd there too. So I clicked new from the options and it created a partition called system reserved. I load windows back up and am currently able to see both partitions of the hd in windows explorer. So how would I go about consolidating these partitions and keep it so I can come back into windows and format the hd?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

I you mean consolidating the Windows installation and the system reserved partition, I don’t know if it’s possible, maybe using a program like partition magic. 

Hi the 100MB partition is a system partition and contains boot files. Disk Manager will not allow you to remove this partition because removing this partition could cause the system to not boot. This partition is made by windows 7 install it is normal to have it there.

Sorry guys I think I confused you. I do know that that partition is required for windows to install but I do not want to install windows on this drive. The main problem is that the drive would not show up in windows explorer like any other drive (i.e. other storage hd’s, usb jump drives) and allow me to just format it. I was able to get it to show up only after using the windows install disk, by creating that new  partition during the install (I did not finish the installation of windows). So now I want to remove that partition even if it is small but maintain my ability to see it in windows explorer and format it there for storage or installation of programs.

Hi ok try this only have the 500 gig installed boot to a hard drive program one that does partitons and formats, ultimate boot cd is one  and delete any partitions remake one partition and format it. Then replug the boot drive in with the 500 gig and boot explorer should see it now.