Problems streaming to Xbox360

I am having problems streaming video to my Xbox360 from MBL.  I have configured the twonky server, and the MBL shows up as a drive on the Xbox.  While some videos show up and play, many are not recognized.  I have also noticed that some vidoes will appear when I chose “all videos” but will not appear when I view by folder.  Browsing the twonky media server from my computer, I can see all the videos I have and have no problem playing them.  Furthermore, I have no problem playing the same video files using my computer as the source from the Xbox. I have tried restarting the device and rebuilding the twonky media library to no avail.  How do I get this to work?  Are there only certain formats supported by twonky?  How do I find this information out?  Thank you.

My first thought was that the Xbox was the problem, because it has pretty limited file support and will show files it cannot play. Since you are able to play these files while your computer is hosting them though, that must not be the problem.

What are the file types that will not play?

muchogrande wrote:

I am having problems streaming video to my Xbox360 from MBL.  I have configured the twonky server, and the MBL shows up as a drive on the Xbox.  While some videos show up and play, many are not recognized.  I have also noticed that some vidoes will appear when I chose “all videos” but will not appear when I view by folder.  Browsing the twonky media server from my computer, I can see all the videos I have and have no problem playing them.  Furthermore, I have no problem playing the same video files using my computer as the source from the Xbox. I have tried restarting the device and rebuilding the twonky media library to no avail.  How do I get this to work?  Are there only certain formats supported by twonky?  How do I find this information out?  Thank you.

I also get the problem where I can’t see videos by folder. On my Xbox it is when I go down a certain number of folders, it kind of gives up on me and tells me there are no videos. Is it the same for you? I guess it is another “feature” of the MBL, or to put it another way, it doesn’t work.

The Xbox will only pl;ay a very limited number of formats so don’t be surprised it won’t play your video formats. Convert them to WMV and they will work.

I’m not sure how long your MBL will remain alive for though. Mine lasted a couple of weeks before becoming unusable. Don’t keep anything on it that you don’t have a copy of elsewhere!

For example, I have a folder of .avi, .mkv, .ts, and .wmv that does not appear to be populated when viewing from my XBOX. I can  play at least some of these when hosted directly through my computer.  They all work when hosted through Windows Media Center.

Now it is skipping while I’m playing music.  How do I return this **bleep**?