Problems seeing Media Server Windows 7

For the record, I really do like both my new SMP and my older WDTV LIVE PLUS media players.  In fact, I returned a Roku 2 XS I bought and got the WDTV LIVE SMP and am MUCH happier with it.  The Roku couldn’t play network files hardly at ALL!  I was shocked at how horrible it was for that task.  As far as what’s going on with the WDTV LIVE SMP not seeing the Media Server over 192.168.1.119, I would still feel it must be some kind of bug, ONLY because my older WDTV Live Plus CAN see the media server over 192.168.1.119.  Having said that, apparently it’s not an obvious one, I had my server on .125 and I guess not many people would have their media servers that high up?  And as far as it being a bug it doesn’t seem to be a severe one now that a work around seems to have been found.  Maybe it’s something WD should look into to see if they can really trace down such a “bug”.  Regardless I’m very pleased with my WD TV LIVE unit!!!  It is LIGHTYEARS ahead of ROKU when it comes to NAS streaming!!!

For the record, too bad you returned your Roku and didn’t keep it!  There are some of us here (me, and Pearl) who have a Roku, and we love it because it does things the WD can’t do and vice versa.  I happen to have 3 Rokus (older and newer models) attached to 3 TVs and two WD units attached to two TVs.  You see, the Roku is a great streamer; the WD is not, and the WD is a great personal media player, and the Roku is not.  I once said I should duct tape the two together for the “ultimate” media player/streamer.  So, another member here, Pearl, took up on that idea and created a mock up of this unit and took a picture of it, and here it is!

ultimate media player.jpg

Seriously, the WD can’t see an IP above 120 and that is not a bug? 

The OP was correct, it is yet another WD networking bug. 

All of my desktop hosts are on addresses above 120. My DHCP pool begins at 151.

Right, can’t imagine how IPs (as long as no duplicates are assigned) should cause any trouble. My network is in the 10.x.x.x range and works just fine with these IPs.

Lol I think it is pretty obvious that many of these networking issues only occur in certain scenarios.

The WD is like a fickle woman, maddening at times.

To be fair to the Roku I really did not explore all it is ABLE to do.  I mainly need Netflix, and to be able to stream my local media wirelessly at 1080p no problem.  The WDTV Live can do this without flinching.  No contest.  So for my needs the Roku did not fit.  I only briefly explored it’s other streaming content.  One thing I did notice however is that there was no native YouTube app/channel!!!  I saw I could add it to the Plex Media Server and stream it that way but comon’!  Although my new WDTV LIVE SMP is rebooting after playing a few YouTube videos… I guess I should search around or create another thread about that.  I thought that was supposed to be fixed with one of the firmware releases I read in some changelog…?

dcb917 wrote:

Lol I think it is pretty obvious that many of these networking issues only occur in certain scenarios.

The WD is like a fickle woman, maddening at times.

you changed your tune from two posts ago!

TonyPh12345 wrote:

As I mentioned above, my router assigns fixed IP addresses automagically based upon an algorithm.  I see IP addresses ranging from .65 to .252.  There are over twenty devices connected to the router and none of them have an issue as was described in this thread.

petermg wrote:

To be fair to the Roku I really did not explore all it is ABLE to do.  I mainly need Netflix, and to be able to stream my local media wirelessly at 1080p no problem.  The WDTV Live can do this without flinching.  No contest.  So for my needs the Roku did not fit.  I only briefly explored it’s other streaming content.  One thing I did notice however is that there was no native YouTube app/channel!!!  I saw I could add it to the Plex Media Server and stream it that way but comon’!  Although my new WDTV LIVE SMP is rebooting after playing a few YouTube videos… I guess I should search around or create another thread about that.  I thought that was supposed to be fixed with one of the firmware releases I read in some changelog…?

Right, there is not a native YouTube channel for the Roku, and the reasons why that is so are all over the net.  That said, I DO have a Roku YT channel that was made available years ago but since removed.  Those folks who had it installed, still have it, and I use it all the time.  I think it is absolutely criminal that Roku still doesn’t have one since then, but they say they have their reasons.

A good work around is to use Twonky Beam on a phone or tablet to beam YT to the Roku or WD, or any other DLNA device.

I also prefer to use Netflix on the Roku and not the WDTV. It just works better and has a nicer interface.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

my server is on static IP with no issues

Bravo! I’m just glad he/she didn’t go some place like Amazon and trash the product rating. It’s much better to come here and run the question past a legion of experts. :slight_smile: