Problems connecting to WD My cloud with Win 8.1

Hi,

I’m having problems connecting to my 4 TB WD My Cloud ever since I upgraded the OS on my computer to Win 8.1.
When I try to access password protected shares, more often then not I am denied access. This has started to become a problem ever since I started using Win 8.1.

Is anyone else having this problem?
Is there any fix for this problem?

Thanks in advance

Hello,

Make sure they are both on the same Workgroup.

Hamlet,

Thank you for your reply.

I have checked both the computer and the WD My Cloud, they are both on the same workgroup.

Any other ideas?

D

So you see the shares, but the authentication fails?

Check under the User Accounts and Family Safety control panel, windows credentials manager, that you don’t have old credentials stored there.

Remember that once you are initiative a Windows session, you can use only one set of credentials to access the NAS. If you have access the Public share without authenticating, you have already “reserved” the “guest” credentials, and you won’t be able to use another set to access a non public share.

Yes, I can see the shares in explorer, but then I try and access the folder I get asked for username and password and I get a access denied.
I don’t use the family safety control.

I sometimes use the same credentials from another computer…could this be the problem…although sometimes I get denied when I use them for the first time in a session?

It seems to have got more frequent with win 8.1

Nothing to do with Family Safety. It is however in the Windows credentials manager, which is located in the user account and family safety control panel, that Windows keeps credentials. Verify you have nothing stored there.

Again, remember that once you have accessed one share with NASUserA credentials, you cannot access another share or the same share with NASUserB credentials. Accessing the public share without credentials is using a set of credentials. So make sure you first access a private share, enter the NAS credentials you need, and you are stuck with that set until you reboot Windows.

… or you start a command prompt and issue the command:

net use * /delete

I have checked and nothing is in the credentials area.

Because I’m using the same credentials from two different computers to access the same share at the same time might be part of the problem…I accept that now. Do you think I could fix this by creating another account with the same privileges, so I could log in with them credentials at the same time?..seems to me that should work.

I do get the login denial sometimes on the first attempt to log in also occasionally.

Of all the threads this one seems to be the most likely to have the answers I am looking for.

Using a WD My Cloud 4tb  (The white unit)    I’m trying to get a configuration that would provide multiple users access to the drive with each user having their own folder accessible nly by them and the admin.  These folders need to be connected via BTsync to the identical folder on each user’s system with a read-only configuration such that any files they add to the folder on their end sync to their WD folder on this end but leaves them free to delete the fileson their end after they sync to free up space that are synced while not deleting the copy on the WD drive.

The issue is that out of 30 folders, there will be some people using windows 8.1 and some stil have windows 7.  (I hope no one is still stuck on Windows 8.0).

While I can disable the auto update on the WD drive, I can’t control what updates each user gets and this is a “last chance” effort to create a workable setup that has to stay working for at least a decent amount of time before any problems have to be dealt with. 

Has anyone managed to get anything like this to stay operational using any of the available firmware versions?  I am not certain what is on the WD My Cloud at this point but I will try to change to whatever works.

questorfla2 wrote:> The issue is that out of 30 folders, there will be some people using windows 8.1 and some stil have windows 7.  (I hope no one is still stuck on Windows 8.0).

This sounds like a business environment, for that I strongly suggest a higher end device that has some form of RAID (1 or above) and external backup for the NAS. Never trust important files to a single device as they will fail at some point.