Problems after FW upgrade: WDMYCLOUD

Sadly not I fear as I don’t have a case number afaik. I have saveda log file, let me know how to pm it?

Latest update here, the content scan is now sitting ‘idle’ again, and though the top section media database scan has green ticks the lower DLNA section has no ticks and is just blank.

Phil (UK)

phil-webb-uk wrote:

Sadly not I fear as I don’t have a case number afaik. I have saveda log file, let me know how to pm it?

Latest update here, the content scan is now sitting ‘idle’ again, and though the top section media database scan has green ticks the lower DLNA section has no ticks and is just blank.

Phil (UK)

Hi phil-webb-uk,

I pm’d you my email address.

Logs on their way…hope they help!

Phil (UK)

phil-webb-uk wrote:

Logs on their way…hope they help!

Phil (UK)

Thanks!

Just to confirm, your device now seems to be working OK?

The data scan is reporting as idle and all sub boxes are green ticked now once again.

The drive seems to be working fine with two important exceptions…

1. Allthough set to go into sleep mode it doesn’t seem to want to - but I will check it again in the morning first thing. That said dashboard being launched has probably stopped it from sleeping for much of the day.

2. Uploads seem to be slower, after a good start the content scanning kicks in and slows everything way down - using Windows Explorer to do uploads is a lot better than using WD My Cloud in this regard.

I have not had chance to try the WD Media streamer today…I will try again tomorrow but I expect it to work as it did so on Sunday

That’s all I can tell you for now.

It’s late here and I’m off to bed. Will check this thread in the morning

Hope that helps, if you need anything else, more logs etc., just shout

Phil (UK)

phil-webb-uk wrote:

The data scan is reporting as idle and all sub boxes are green ticked now once again.

The drive seems to be working fine with two important exceptions…

1. Allthough set to go into sleep mode it doesn’t seem to want to - but I will check it again in the morning first thing. That said dashboard being launched has probably stopped it from sleeping for much of the day.

1. Uploads seem to be slower, after a good start the content scanning kicks in and slows everything way down - using Windows Explorer to do uploads is a lot better than using WD My Cloud in this regard.

I have not had chance to try the WD Media streamer today…I will try again tomorrow but I expect it to work as it did so on Sunday

That’s all I can tell you for now.

It’s late here and I’m off to bed. Will check this thread in the morning

Hope that helps, if you need anything else, more logs etc., just shout

Phil (UK)

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the update!  I would always recommend Windows Explorer over the WDMyCloud desktop app when transfering files on your local network.  Do those transfers seem to slow down too?

After reading so many reports regarding the latest FW update, i think there are 3 possible solutions

1. stay at home and reset the drive on an hourly basis (if you can even get it to do that!)

2. use the drive as a book end (i find that the TWO drives i have work nicely as a matched set)

3. pray that WD gets the point that all of these issues are not just the product of mass hallucinations… there are a lot of rather screwed people out there who are now having to scramble for solutions after this mess of a roll-out…

1 Like

Checked the drive first thing this morning, no slowly fading light so it isn’t going into sleep mode.

Logged in with Dashboard and all seems well…dashboard BTW seemed very responsive today

So aside from the upload issues reported above, all seems well again. I will try media streaming later just to be sure.

So the drive is pretty much back to normal aside from a) no sleep mode and b) content scanning kicking in and slowing uploading to a crawl.

Phil (UK)

stephenabraham wrote:

After reading so many reports regarding the latest FW update, i think there are 3 possible solutions

1. stay at home and reset the drive on an hourly basis (if you can even get it to do that!)
  1. use the drive as a book end (i find that the TWO drives i have work nicely as a matched set)
  1. pray that WD gets the point that all of these issues are not just the product of mass hallucinations… there are a lot of rather screwed people out there who are now having to scramble for solutions after this mess of a roll-out…

It has been my experience that fussing and fiddling with the drive and resetting it because it was unresponsive and the firmware had broken it is exactly the wrong thing to do. Leaving it alone for a long time to rescan the content and not interrupting it (and it does this VERY slowly - so a larger fuller drive could take days!) led to is settling down and returning to much nearer normal.

Sure there are still some issues, but by doing this I went from a drive that looked like it was trashed (like many many others) to one that is back up and running. the content scanning seems to completely take over the drives system resources to the exclusion of all else - thus making it appear to be almost completely unresponsive and un usable…well as I say that’s been my experience.

BTW, I have always wondered if you could add more than one My Cloud to a network?

Phil

1 Like

This morning I thought I’d transfer the contents of 5CD’s to the drive.

Total file size around 845MB. I opened the My Cloud app on my PC which found the drive and showed the contents without hesitation. I dragged the files onto the destination directory and off we went…but we didn’t get very far! Content scanning pricked up it’s ears and got to work and the responsive transfer rate plumeted to a predictable crawl as a result.

After around 25 minutes or so, only 175MB had been transferred! that was about 1 of the 5 CD’s contents and I gave up and cancelled the upload and left the drive scanning!

Not good.

When I returned tot he drive a couple of hours later it was Idle, so using Win Explorer (7) I selected the remain 4 CD directories and dragged them onto the drive without using WD My Cloud and they all copied across in about 30 seconds!

Which has now given the content scanner something to be getting on with - so that will take the drive over for a while and render it pretty much unuseable for anything else till it’s through.

Phil (UK)

Hi Phil,

When you write that the uploads are very slow, is this when using the WDMyCloud app or Windows explorer?

Also, if you disable Twonky media server, does the device still appear to be slow after new uploads complete?

Ok I thought I’d been clear but here goes…

Using drag and drop onto the open My Cloud App on Win 7 things starts well for 30 secs or so, then content scanning kicks in and then speed slows to an absolute crawl

Using drag and drop using Windows explorer alone seems much faster and big transfers can completed before the content scanning kicks in, but they still slow once scanning starts though remain better than above

Where do I look in the Dashboard to disable Twonky media server or at least see it’s status? I don’t recall seeing it mentioned in the pages of dasboard??

Phil (uk)

For your information I have to video files to transfer to the drive…5.9GB and 7.6GB

If you wish I could try transfering and make timing records and observations…let me know how you would like me to upload them

Phil (UK)

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the info!  We will adjust our tests here internally.

Please try testing in Windows explorer with Twonky media turned off during one file, then turn it on for next file.

Where do you get logs? I’ve been asked to send WD a system report. But after over 12 hours, it still hasn’t completed.

Ok so I did some copying of 3 video files as you suggested.

Firstly I didn’t really know anything about Twonky so I looked in the user manual and realised it was part of the media server, so I assumed by turning DLNA server to off is what you meant by de-actiating it? SO I did that, then…

First file, 5.12GB copied using Win Explorer onlyl…too aprox 3min 39 sec.In the Dashboard I noticed that the content scanner sprang into action immediatly…BUT…switched back to Idle again after a minute or so during the transfer. Not seen that before!

Speeds kept up and the transfer time seemed very reasonable. After it had complete the DLNA was switched on and content scan started which took around 25mins

For file 2 with the DLNA server back on, this one was done within a couple of mins of the previous scan finishing.

Again using Win Explorer I copied file 2 which is 6.44GB. This took 10 mins 20 secs and the content scanner stayed idle!! I was not expecting that! From what I had observed over recent days I would have expected the content scanner to kick in and slow the transfer to a crawl!

It occurred to me that…

either cycling the DLNA off and back on might have had some sort of effect?

Or that a transfer so soon after a content scan didn’t spark another?

Or (and most bizzarely!) that WD has remote access to my drive and had tweaked it!!!?

This all happened on Tue night here in the UK.

Mind you these were all single files, not 400 image files.

Wednesday morning I returned to the drive. It was still not showing any signs of being in sleep mode after the whole night with the PC powered down even…so that’s an issue still.

Dashboard connected quickly, scanning showed idle.

So I coppied the third file across 5.45GB, took around 1 min 20 secs! No content scan kicked in.

Given the above testing - it looks as though aside from not going into sleep mode the drive has recovered and is pretty much back to normal under V4 of the Firmware!

Phil (UK)

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the update!

No we do not have remote access to tweak things on your drive haha.

If possible, can you send me one more log so I can look into the sleep issue? 

Thanks!

I hope this is the right place to add to your comments and to have them forwarded to daytrdr.

I have been having the same problems exactly. Basically whenever the drive goes into scanning mode everything crawls to a halt and it becomes unuseable.

There are many posts on the forum under different subjects that all refer to the fw upgrade but from what I’m seeing they all seem to be pointing to the same symptoms…

So to recap my situation is similar to yours and everything works fine until the drive decides to rescan the files so I think that is the place to look for a solution PLEASE !

thanks.

daytrdr wrote:

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the update!

No we do not have remote access to tweak things on your drive haha.

If possible, can you send me one more log so I can look into the sleep issue? 

Thanks!

Log file link PM’d to you

Phil (UK)

Bob59 wrote:

I hope this is the right place to add to your comments and to have them forwarded to daytrdr.

I have been having the same problems exactly. Basically whenever the drive goes into scanning mode everything crawls to a halt and it becomes unuseable.

There are many posts on the forum under different subjects that all refer to the fw upgrade but from what I’m seeing they all seem to be pointing to the same symptoms…

So to recap my situation is similar to yours and everything works fine until the drive decides to rescan the files so I think that is the place to look for a solution PLEASE !

thanks.

Yes I think you are right. I think things could be greatly improved if the scanning was made / forced to be a background activity, that stopped as soon as some other demand was made of the system, streaming uploading etc. which perhaps ought to be seen to take priority. Scaning seems to be THE priority activity to the exclusion of all else at times leading to a drive that is effectively unresponsive.

Phil (UK)