Problem with Youtube HD Videos (1080p) after upgrading

Hi everyone,

I’ve a question on the new firmware:

why after the update (1.01.24) my WD TV Live can’t reproduce HD Youtube videos?

Someone have my same probem?

Thanks

Within the 0.24 firmware YouTube preferences, the only option is to specify Current Location.

Previously in 0.17 firmware, there was an option to enable / disable HD Content.

Looks like they’re disabling HD by default and not giving the option to re-enable it. :frowning:

if you put up the info on the youtube videos you cannot play then people who have upgraded can try them and see if they work. 

From reading other posts it appears that people could not get HD Youtube videos via WDTV so how did you do it before the upgrade?

I have a playlist with only Hd movie trailers. Nin of them play in HD anymore. In version .17 they all played perfectly in HD. What gives???

Before this upgrade, i simply wrote ‘HD 1080p’ in Youtube’s search criteria and I could see these videos. HD, 1080p, I’m sure.

Can someone from WD tell us is this the new reality (not being able to play YouTube HD videos)? Or this is a bug in a new firmware?

Same here. Installed my Full HD Monitor two days ago and was really looking forward to watch HD videos on youtube. Unfortunately I made the frustrating mistake of installing the .24-firmware.

Looks like one of those legal requirements to me that once again does a great job of taking a lot of the fun out of HD technology. It took me a long time to take the plunge into the HD world. HDCP and DRM stuff being one of the major concerns holding me back. I should have known better. This digital rights ■■■■ keeps spoiling promising technology for years now. Did I mention I’m disappointed?

1 Like

You need to recycle the power.

best regards

Kent

What do you mean with ‘You need to recycle the power’?

Thanks

“recycle power” = unplug power cord of WD TV Live and plug back in after counting to slowly to 42

Also referred to as “cycling power”. There are a few reports here in the forum that firmware updates can cause all kinds of weird problems with the WD TV Live. Apparently many can be fixed by just power cycling or if that does not help, by resetting the device. (E.g. in my case the .17 update required a proper reset, so I had to enter all my settings again, but it fully works otherwise.)

_ EDIT: Note that I did not update yet myself, I am still using .17! I am just explaining what was meant with the term “recycle power”, nothing more._

Hopefully this will work.  There is an awesome fish tank scene in HD on youtube that is amazing on the WDTV live in 1080P I could always play.  now, when I try to play an HD from youtube is says the owner restricts the right to allow playback on a media tv device or something stupid like that

tomme12 wrote:

Hopefully this will work.  There is an awesome fish tank scene in HD on youtube that is amazing on the WDTV live in 1080P I could always play.  now, when I try to play an HD from youtube is says the owner restricts the right to allow playback on a media tv device or something stupid like that

See info here. You could always contact the owner of the video and ask them to allow the use on TV’s. Perhaps they do not know they are restricting it.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/What-YouTube-videos-can-t-you-access-with-the-24-firmware/m-p/10415#M3799

tomme12 wrote:

WD has an agreement with YouTube.  We get access and WD has to pay a licensing fee.

If part of that contract states that the firmware must respect uploaders’ rights (i.e. they ask YT not to stream to set top boxes), then that’s what WD must do to ensure we get any access at all.

If part of the contract states we aren’t allowed HD streams, again, tough luck but it’s better than no access at all.  This still hasn’t been confirmed, it could be that WD are still ironing out issues with HD support.

Syabas got cheap and refused to pay the fees.  Now Popbox / Popcorn Hour users get no YouTube access.

I’d rather have SD YouTube than no YouTube.  

richUK wrote:

You could always contact the owner of the video and ask them to allow the use on TV’s. Perhaps they do not know they are restricting it.

I’ve tried contacting a Channel who had inconsistently applied restrictions. They never got back to me.

I then checked the settings on a video I uploaded and it seems that, by default, TV restrictions are not enabled.

If a video is restricted, it’s because they deliberately chose to restrict it.

PixelPower wrote:

richUK wrote:> You could always contact the owner of the video and ask them to allow the use on TV’s. Perhaps they do not know they are restricting it.

I’ve tried contacting a Channel who had inconsistently applied restrictions. They never got back to me.

I then checked the settings on a video I uploaded and it seems that, by default, TV restrictions are not enabled.

If a video is restricted, it’s because they deliberately chose to restrict it.

I must admit I don’t understand why people are restricting their videos, it does not seem to make much sense. What difference does it make to the fish tank owner if you watch his video on a computer or a TV / Phone.

tomme12 wrote:

• *> What’s the link?>

richUK wrote:

I must admit I don’t understand why people are restricting their videos, it does not seem to make much sense. What difference does it make to the fish tank owner if you watch his video on a computer of a TV / Phone.

I think the problem is that Google/Youtube hasn’t set enough types.

Some people don’t want their stuff to be rebroadcast on tv stations - that’s why they check “no syndication” - but as you say, why would the want of the odd individual person wanted to see their stuff on their own tv  - that doesn’t really make sense.

Official WD answer:

"Dear Juan,

Thank you for your reply.

I received a reply back from engineering. It appears that YouTube will no longer allow non-browser based players to play HD content. This is accordance with their rules and regulation that we have to adhere to. I apologize but you will not be able to play HD content from YouTube on the WD TV Live.

Sincerely,
Leonard B.
Western Digital Service and Support
http://support.wdc.com

"

2 Likes

I’d still like to see that fish tank (in my browser :slight_smile:

Well, if you are so desparate to get your HD-FishTank back (btw, that one is really nice on a big screen, my kids love it), then you can still download the HD Videos from YouTube and store them locally on your harddisk and stream them from there. That saves bandwith anyway.

For example, there are plug-ins for Firefox that download (and even convert) your currently viewed YouTube video with a single click. 

We have official confirmation from the WD TV develop team that YouTube’s API does not support HD video.  Therefore, you will not be able to access any HD video through the WD TV Live’s YouTube interface.

1 Like