Problem with WD TV 1st generation

I have problems with some MKV. The screen is black and I must turn off the player.

Is a hardware problem or software? The player is in warranty. I think is a problem of mkv file but with the PC is able to read…

If I open an RMA W.D. send me a new 2nd generation or same model?

steveone wrote:

I have problems with some MKV. The screen is black and I must turn off the player.

Is a hardware problem or software? The player is in warranty. I think is a problem of mkv file but with the PC is able to read…

If I open an RMA W.D. send me a new 2nd generation or same model?

I suggest you read through the threads here so you understand the WDTV cannot properly play some MKV files which are completely in-spec (those using header compression) - it is one of the known problems with the WDTV. If you request an RMA, WD will ignore you, since the Gen1 player has been abandoned (end-of-life’d). No fix will be provided, no additional firmware will be made available, none of the many bugs in the player will be fixed, and you are completely screwed. But again, this has been covered on these boards ad nausium.

The player is under warranty and I have open an RMA. I was not informed about the “header compression” …I know this problem in this forum.

The 2nd generation has this same problem or not? If I ship my player to WD maybe they change it with 2nd generation player. no?

steveone wrote:

The player is under warranty and I have open an RMA. I was not informed about the “header compression” …I know this problem in this forum.

The 2nd generation has this same problem or not? If I ship my player to WD maybe they change it with 2nd generation player. no?

I’m afraid that won’t help much, as the 2nd GEN player, which is the one I have, as similar problems, especially when it comes to mkv files.  

I can only applaud that you contact their support, as this only proves to them that this problem is still current. But I wouldn’t expect anything from it. I’ve to agree with Charlie on this one. In the best case, you’ll get a standard reply. If at all possible, I would recommend that you bring the player back to the store you bought it from and try to exchange it for a player from another brand, one that cares a little bit more about it’s customers and still offers support on products that are barely 2 years old. I’ve heard a lot of good things about Popcorn players. Another brand that offers similar media players at very competitive prices and which actually addresses these issues, is A.C. Ryan. I’ll probably get rid of my WD and purchase the PlayOn!HD Mini. Good luck!

1 Like

I agree re customer service, terrible

I just delt w GRaid/Hitachi, lovely bunch & very helpful

I am now able to see menus, and folders but NO files will play

I called WD, they said they don’t support TVs !

PODoc wrote:

I called WD, they said they don’t support TVs ! 

Did you expect them to?

I have the same problem and i think it’s true that wd will ignore you, because they did it with me. No problem, i buy a new mediaplayer without the letters WD on it and non of a product from wd i will buy in the future. This is a good advertising. Mouth to mouth if you understand this WD. 

Thank you WD for the support :angry: :angry: .

Kristof wrote:

I have the same problem and i think it’s true that wd will ignore you, because they did it with me. No problem, i buy a new mediaplayer without the letters WD on it and non of a product from wd i will buy in the future. This is a good advertising. Mouth to mouth if you understand this WD. 

Thank you WD for the support :angry: :angry: .

When did we ignore you?  Give me the specifics in a private message and I’ll look into it.

“When did we ignore you?  Give me the specifics in a private message and I’ll look into it.”

Your kidding right? Your support for Gen 2 customers is a joke.The problems are mounting but customers are forced to come up with work arounds to get “Supported formats” to play.

I for one now avoid WD products and advise others to do the same every chance I get…

As time advance we should advance also with it.

that gen 2 is almost a legacy pretty soon I think they will stop manufacturing it

Why dont you try to see if  you can qualify for the customer loyalty program?

click on the link below

http://websupport.wdc.com/store/upgrade/products.asp?custtype=end&lang=en

Powel wrote:

I for one now avoid WD products and advise others to do the same every chance I get…

Seconded. The problem isn’t the forum, the problem is WD’s lack of support for products. Instead of fixing existing bugs, the company releases new products in many cases with the same bugs. Some folks keep giving money to WD for flawed products, some of us pack away our WD product and purchase from competitors which have a better track record of fixing their screw-ups. (No software is bug-free; the measure of a company is how they deal with the ones that become apparent.)

1 Like

The WD assistance is very negative…I have a new player that does not read many mkv…bleah!

1 Like

steveone wrote:

The WD assistance is very negative…I have a new player that does not read many mkv…bleah!

A new player?   Which one is that?

I buyed a WD TV HD 1st generation in the box there was not written 1st generation. 

I receive mkv files from my suppliers and the WD TV does not open these files.

I opened a RMA request and they propose me to accept a WD TV LIVE. I accepted this change and they sent me the same WD TV 1st generation.

I wrote to assistance and the operator said that this model is not compatible with these files. I could not know before purchase this limitation…

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?topic=6897.0