Problem with my WD Caviar Black 1tb

This drive worked great for 6 months and then died, had to repair it with WD drive utility and lost all my data (it was nearly full).   I’ve now dusted it back off because I need the extra storage, but not trusting it only fill it with things that are easily replaced (my Steam game library for now).   I ran fine for about a week and then started “hiccuping”.   The whole computer will freeze every 3 seconds for about a second when the drive is writing.  My temps are fine.  This problem only happens when the drive is enabled and actively reading/writing.  How on Earth does a secondary HDD with only my steam games screw everything else up?   This is especially noticeable if I’m listening to music (which makes it intolerable).  Drive is also behaving a little slow.  I used to be able to fix the problem by running checkdisk, but the issues return after a day or so (regardles of uptime.  Kinda weird).  I’d rather not spend the 6 hours to fix it every time it fails. 

I’m running Win 7, Intel E6600, evga 9800GTX+, corsair 600w supply, asus p5n-d mobo, 3 gigs ddr2, with my main drive (with EVERYTHING ELSE but my steam library on it) is a 320 gig hitachi, which has never given me any problems.

Keep in mind these problems only return when the WD drive is enabled and actively reading/writing.

Seems like some of the 1tb WD Black drives are having issues.  Last week one of mine (8 mo old) made a short faint humming noise (not the “click of death”) and then all my HDD’s disappeared from Windows.  On reboot, the bios did not detect any HDD’s (none of the 3 installed).  When I pulled the 1tb and rebooted, the remaining 2 drives were found and Windows loaded.  I installed a brand new 1tb drive and it is running well (data was backed up).

There is a thread on Google that suggests the 1tb drives can have issues with AHCI (SATA controller for RAID and hot swapping).  I can’t confirm or deny, but I will tell you that I have turned it off on my PC (compatibility mode).

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SATA  AND IDE INTERNAL HARD DRIVES?  CAN SOMEONE HELP ME AND WHATS COMPATIBLE

kimmer659187 wrote:

WHATS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SATA  AND IDE INTERNAL HARD DRIVES?  CAN SOMEONE HELP ME AND WHATS COMPATIBLE

SATA=SERIAL ATA   -   IDE=Intelligent Device Electronics, the forerunner to SATA.  They are NOT compatible.

Same thing happened to me.  My 8 month SATA 0 Caviar Black started to cause constant incredible long boot ups.  It turned out the SMART logic was having difficulties in re-allocating defective sectors.  I was surprised as this was one of 2 Caviar Black that I installed at the same time.  It was working but I was not going to rely on it.  I replaced it temporary and now I am waiting for the RMA return.