Problem with My Book Essential 1T and a Netgear N600 router

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the external HDD’s and was wondering why I can’t install the SmartWare software from the hdd I get an error when I try to access it., like I don’t have permission. The drive is installed and setup,- and can access it the router properties with the N600 router. Or is it a setup issue with the router? Thanks in advanced for any ideas.

You won’t be able to use Smartware with the My Book connected to a router.  You can use the drive but the Smartware won’t see the drive.

If you are interested on doing Smartware backups from the network you can consider about getting a My Book Live.

You can continue to use the My Book for manual backups or with another application that will allow you to backup from the N600.

I did in fact purchase a My Book Live 2Tb for the simple fact that Netgear tech support says The my book E will work but it dose not. So I installed the my book live and then pluged the My Book Essential into a USB 3.0 port on the board but it hangs windows on boot and if I plug it in - in windows, the smartware 1.5.1.6 dose not see it and crashed windows. So I’m stumped as to why I can’t us both with the software.