Problem with DTS .wav files

I ripped a bunch of my old DTS CDs  to the Hub and on a few of them they simply stopped playing after about 25 seconds. The on screen time counter bar stopped as well. However, I could stream them from the WDTV Live Hub to my Sony Blu Ray player just fine, so it seems to be a decoding issue on the Hub side.

Also, the time length of the file was reporting incorrectly on some files as well, too short by a few minutes.

Following up, some entire DTS CDs won’t play at all, such as the Allman Bros. LATFE & Ohio Players HONEY…again, if I stream the files to my Sony BR players they play just fine.

There’s no such thing as DTS CD.   

Are you talking about a DVD-Audio?

No such thing as a DTS CD??? I suggest you do some research…you could even buy them at Tower Records!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5.1_Music_Disc

http://members.cox.net/surround/dts/dtsdisc.htm

…and no, I’m not talking about DVD Audio or Sony Super Audio CDs…I’ve got a bunch of those as well.

"As opposed to other surround formats, such as Super Audio CD and DVD-Audio, which require a specialized player, a DTS-CD is compatible with most standard CD and DVD players with a digital ( S/PDIF) output. These players will recognize the disk as a standard audio CD. The only requirement is an audio processor, usually a receiver that can decode the DTS audio stream." 

I own these discs:

-   Alan Parsons - On Air. MFI 4414

-   Allman Brothers Band - At Fillmore East. (2 CD’s) MFI 4410

Bonnie Raitt - Road Tested. (2 CD’S) DTS CD-1010

Don Henley - The End Of The Innocence. 692860106222

Eric Clapton - 461 Ocean Boulevard. MFI 4419

Gluey Brothers, The - Stiff For The Elders. 69286-01064-2-0

Jeff Beck - Beck, Bogart & Appice.

Ohio Players - Honey

Paul McCartney & Wings - Band on the Run.

Police, The - Every Breath You Take: The Classics

Santana - Abraxas

Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions

Steely Dan - Gaucho

Steve Miller Band - Fly Like an Eagle

Sting - Ten Summoner’s Tales

So, in other words you’re complaing that something that’s unsupported, doesn’t play properly?

Isn’t that sort of what “unsupported” means?

Who says these are unsupported?

It says right in the manual under the “playing music section”…supported audio types DTS

These are red book standarized audio CDs, encocded in dts5.1 instead of  LPCM.

They are no different than a dts soundtrack on a DVD.

…and if you read my first couple of posts, the Hub plays most of them just fine, but a couple won’t play, and they stream & playback perfectly on my Sony Blu Pay player.

For the record, I’ve ripped 3 DVD Audio discs to the hub…Steely Dan, Deep Purple & The Gluey Bros (I know, I’ve never heard of them either! :smiley: ) and they work just fine…you can access the dts or DD tracks, just not the MPL audio.

I see nothing in the Sigma brochures or the Live Hub manual that says 5.1 wav is supported.

And perhaps you can point me to the part in the first two posts that says the Hub plays them and outputs 5.1.  All I see is that some croaked after 25 seconds, and others won’t play at all.

“I ripped a bunch of my old DTS CDs  to the Hub and on a few of them they simply stopped playing after about 25 seconds.”

Sorry if that wasn’t clear enough. Yes, most of them played & output 5.1 DTS audio. A couple of the ripped CDs wouldn’t play at all. On one CD a single track wouldn’t play. When streaming to another device they played just fine. If the HUB doesn’t officially support them, that’s fine. I can do an end around & stream them to my blu ray player. Tony said there were no such thing as DTS cds, which is incorrect & I provided background info to him. I simply came here to find out info & get feedback regarding the new Hub I purchased.

These are NOT 5.1 wav files, either…

Yep, you schooled me! :). My appologies!

So if I can stream them off the HUB to another player & have them play correctly, any guesses as to what might be happening? I am connecting the HUB to my DENON receiver via HDMI cable, same as the blu ray player. Might the HUB be truncating the beginning of the file containing the format header, or dropping packets, perhaps as part of the HDMI issues it has?

My next step is going to use an optical cable for audio & see what happens…

…if you can’t figure out what’s causing an issue, rule out what’s not causing the issue…trobleshooting 101. :wink:

Thanks for your feedback! :slight_smile:

since the last 2 updates of the last 2 weeks my WD Live doesnt playdts wav-files as DTS but as simple stereo!

I am very sorry for this. My receiver sees them as standard stereo files and plays them as that. Just a week ago, al the dts wav-files sounded great and were automaticly transposed over my 5.1 channels…whats going wrong? Can I get the old firmware please?

You have the wrong board, this is for the live hub only

You should post here

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/bd-p/wdtv_live_firmware

However if you want to rollback the live all the details plus firmware is here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800