Problem Viewing Backdrop Photos From Menu for Movies

I am no longer able to view backdrop photos for movies by selecting “Options” and then “View Backdrop Photos” from the menu. All I get are the titles above without any photos displayed below. It stopped functioning approximately one week ago for all of my movies.

I know that the backdrop photo files are on my 1 TB WD Elements external harddrive because I can see them on my PC via Wi-Fi and are visible in the background of my TV in movie gallery mode.

I attempted to correct the problem without any luck by rescanning a few individual movies and also by clearing and rebuilding my media library.

I assume that an essential file on the harddrive is corrupt or missing and it does not allow the media library to fully rebuild. It only takes a few minutes to rebuild the media library containing hundreds of movies and TV shows.

Are there any specific files I should delete to obtain a full media rebuild and will that solve the problem?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

What version of firmware are you using on the SMP?

I am using the latest firmware update 1.16.13.

Do you think my problem is firmware related? The backdrop photos were visible for awhile with this new firmware.

I have the same problem. Viewing Backdrop Photos doesn’t work and I just bought the WDTV LIVE SMP and installed the latest firmware update.

To mz_inet:

That is very interesting. I originally blamed the problem with something on my external harddrive but it looks like it probably is something related to the new firmware.

As I said above, I can still see the backdrop photos in the background when I am in movie gallery mode but not when I select options and then select “View Backdrop Photos” from the menu for all movies. I never had this problem before. Is it the same for you? Did you have this problem before you updated the firmware?

I thought I could possibly rectify the problem by performing a total (full) rescan (rebuild) of the media library but I do not know how to do that. Clearing and rebuilding the library from setup only performs a partial rebuild of the library that does NOT resolve the problem. I believe that I have to delete certain files before a full rebuild can be performed. Also, there is no guarantee that this will solve the backdrop photo viewing problem.

How often do WD tech personnel review problems on this forum? I really appreciate the fact that previous problems were resolved relatively quickly in the past with new firmware updates. I have never had a new problem resulting from a new firmware update that I did not have before.

flash214 wrote:

How often do WD tech personnel review problems on this forum?

In general, never.   This isn’t a tech support forum.   You need to call or open a case with WD to report it.

Spooky…i have the same problem…got the problem last week, just as you guys…

why did we all get this problem about the same time?

I have the latest firmware to, and it work without problem till last week.

I did a factory reset without luck, deleted the “WD” folder on my usb hd, rebuild the library

but the problem is still there…i don’t use photo view of backdrops so often, but it’s annoying

when not working…hope there is a fix for this soon…

It really is spooky.

I cannot remember if it started to appear immediately after I updated the firmware or a little later.

It never happened with the previous firmware update.

I hope that more people test it out on their system to confirm that it is a firmware problem.

The fact that three of us are having the same problem kind of rules out that some files are missing or corrupt on our external harddrives.

Anyone know the procedure to open up a case on the internet with the WD tech department to address this problem?

I assumed that they monitored this forum for problem areas as they should be doing.

You have a number of choices in contacting WD

You can email or phone

http://support.wdc.com/contact/contact.asp?lang=en

Or you can add it as an issue

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-SMP-Issues/idb-p/streaming_issues

Its probably better to phone. 

Is there anyone using the latest firmware update (1.16.13) that can actually see the backdrop photos from the options menu and not just in the background of movie gallery view?

I believe that this problem affects everyone that updated with the latest firmware.

We just need more people to confirm the problem.

I submitted a ticket with WD and their are looking into it.

To: mz_inet

Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Hope others test their unit with the latest firmware for this problem.

Working together helps solve problems.

The WD tech people probably need more people to confirm this problem before they will take any action.

Anyone else having this problem???

Hi there,

I have the same problem since a few days with the current firmware. I can´t show the backdrops from movies in the movie folder. TV Shows folder works fine. The backdrops are saved in the movie folder, I can watch it on my PC, but not at the WD TV Live.

Best regards,

derSteph

Same problem for me.

Tried both firmware 1.16.13 and 1.15.10, same problem.

Some movies have the .backdrop folder, some don’t. In both cases the interface doesn’t show any of the images.

Curious to hear what official support has to say…

F

I also have the same problem, I do not think that is the last FW, the problem occurred a few months ago, precisely when IMBD has changed the API.

I have tried several FW and the problem remains

hello

Looks like the backdrop photo display problem from the movie options menu has been resolved with the latest firmware update 2.01.86.

However, some really big new problems were intoduced as follows:

Problem  with the Wi-Fi firmware update. It gets stuck after page one of a two page update requiring a manual update.

Problem with Windows on a PC no longer able to share with the WDTVLive unit.

no problem with FW update 2.01.86 now everything works fine.

hello thanks

You are very lucky.

According to what I see on this forum, many, many others are having my problems and many other problems with the 2.01.86 firmware update. Just review some other comments.

Thank you.