Problem sorting files

I am trying to do what in my eyes should be a simple enough task.

I have a 2TB self powered external HDD that all my movies are stored on, it is plugged locally into the WDTV unit.

I am trying to sort my movies out by release date with the newest 1st.

In the “sorting Data” tab I am choosing the following

1. Filter > All
  2. Sorting > Date (decending)

I had expected these two settings to arrange the entire list of movies in their release date order.

Where am I going wrong folks :confounded:

It’s sorting by the FILE’S date.   The WDTV has no way of knowing what the release date of a movie is…

TonyPh12345 wrote:

It’s sorting by the FILE’S date.   The WDTV has no way of knowing what the release date of a movie is…

And yet when in Media Library and you use “Name” sort it uses the movie name from the metada/xml and not the filename.

Only if you tell it to…

Problem is I want movies to display in a specific order the most effective way is to set it by manipulating the file name.  For Example I have all my James bond films in a seperate directory.  Ti insure that the files are displayed in order released I preceed the fi8le name with JB01-Dr No,JB02- From Russia with Love, etc, JB15-A View to a Kill, - ----JB23 etc.  Media Library has major problem autogeneration the metadata so I manually search for the correct Movie info and the metadate is thenm generated.  This results in the FIRST movie displayed being A View to a Kill, Also throughout the library if the movie starts with an article “A” or “The”  is also displays the movie in often unexpected order.  My workaround is to manually gtenerate the metadata in Media Library but display and select directly from the source (network share)

So although I have searched for and downloaded the “Content Data” for each movie the system will still not use the release dates (which are there) to sort the movies out by date.

That sounds a bit daft no ?

Folks, I think ya’ll are confused and posting in the wrong forum.   This forum is for the Live / Live+ (2009 / 2010 devices).   The Live / Live+ don’t do what ya’ll are saying.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Folks, I think ya’ll are confused and posting in the wrong forum.   This forum is for the Live / Live+ (2009 / 2010 devices).   The Live / Live+ don’t do what ya’ll are saying.

You are correct, but rather than tell the originator that point I thought I would help him reach a workable solution. I have both a live SMP and a Live Plus on which I use Linksheets with no issues.