Problem setting-up My Cloud EX2 Ultra - 4TB on OSX El Capitan 10.11.3 (15D21)

Hi,

Can you run network utility/netstat and see what IP’s come up as used.
Check what IP address matches the mac address from the back of the EX2 unit.

Dejan

Hi, going through my router instead and got the following :

00:90:a9:eb:cc:54 192.168.1.10 82910
MyCloudEX2Ultra
LAN3

Any useful information based on that?

-G

Try to ping that address from your network utility.
Did you try accessing it with that IP address from the safari?

Hi @zemun2, yeach I did both, and kept getting the

Request timeout for icmp_seq 0

respond all the time.

Hi Gerry, it’s Mike here, and hope I can help you. I hope you already saw my reply to the PM you sent me.

OK, let’s start with some basics of getting the thing going, because It looks like from the screenshot you posted you did not get very far.

First see this link and follow the instructions to RESET the unit. There are links inside of what to do after resetting if necessary. This is not an extreme measure, but sometimes these things need a reset after they arrive. So, do this first:

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10432

Next, see this Support page for the EX2 Ultra and determine after resetting if you need to restore unit to factory defaults. If you do have to, restore ONLY “System Only” restore (the least severe restoration.) If that doesn’t fix things up, then call WD Support, you could have bigger problems going on, but do these things first. RESET is required, but Restore is optional depending on how the reset went for you.

You will find the info for restore to defaults in this EX2 Ultra Support section:

http://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=911&lang=en

Good luck, I hope this gets it going in the right direction.

Hi @mike27oct, thanks for getting back to me on this. So on to my progress :slight_smile:

• Reset the device.
  • Wait until 3 minutes to get the blue LED light, steady.
  • Go to the MyCloud.com/Setup

And got the following;

Screen capture #1

Screen capture #2

Screen capture #3

Screen Capture #4

And the process kept repeating again, where basically, the device is not getting recognized by my local network. Any ideas how solve the situation? The other thing is, I just realized that it’s totally different method from the one on the instruction manual told me to do? Any ideas why?

Thanks,
G

OK, ,( and you can call me Mike) I was next going to ask you how far you got into the install, and your post shows you hardly got out of the batter’s box!

I was also going to send you this link, and I still will , so you can see the progression you will make, and compare it to what you see in the manual. I have no idea why the manual for a new model is not same as the online instruction.

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10439

So, the first hurdle is to get you connected to a functional home network, Do you have one setup already? Whether one has a PC or a Mac, this is requirement #1.
I am thinking you do, but in the PM , you said you read that your Mac OS can’t accept a NAS? I cannot confirm or deny this as a PC user, but I know of lots of people who have a Mac and they use a My Cloud. They post in here all the time. Let’s hope one comes by this post real soon and helps.

Meanwhile, before calling WD Support, email them now, and see what they can do to help you get out of the batter’s box. I will check back in my morning to see what happens from now to then. Hang in there, there is a logical explanation why this is happening this way, but I know it can also be real frustrating.

Hi Mike,

Yeach, this is rather odd Mike,

http://support.wdc.com/KnowledgeBase/answer.aspx?ID=10439

You gave the URL already previously Mike, followed the instruction, and it’s just weird, I wasn’t expecting this, cause mainly, I’d figure setting-up was supposed to be a snap.

Yeap, got one up and running. Other devices are really working out of the box, AppleTV, Samsung SmartTV, Xbox, iOS and Android devices are working really well.

You can find similar issues on other threads actually Mike, here’s one.

Here’s one, somebody posted back at the Apple Support Communities.

True, this is rather frustrating and time consuming, considering I barely even managed to log-on to the console yet and still kept getting stuck in setting it up.

Shouldn’t WD take any actions by now, considering everyone on OSX would probably on the latest flagship of Apple Operating System, the El Capitan.

Thanks Mike.

Cheers,
G

Gerry,

I checked out some of the links you provided and see you are not alone with this issue. I found it interesting that someone said he has issues with BOTH his NASs – the My Cloud and the Netgear one. Seems like an Apple OS issue, not a WD issue, if a Netgear device is also affected.

Just keep finding a resolution, keep posting here and I will follow this thread for any progress… —Mike
PS: Interesting to note that since the new Windows 10 OS came out, plenty of people here have had issues with sharing devices with the network, including WD devices and why I still have not upgraded to Win 10 OS.

Hi @gerryleonugroho

Simply open http://192.168.1.10 and setup the EX2 Ultra directly from within its Web Interface.
You can access the web interface by typing its name http://wdmycloudex2ultra.local (Mac Style) too.

Hi @Joerg_A and @mike27oct

I wasn’t actually sure, what have I done to make the My Cloud actually work for El Capitan, but it just did. Now I can have access to the interface and manage the service from the web-based environment.

Just to give a quick recap, of all the steps to make it work.

-1. I’m running El Capitan, on a Mac Book Air.
-2. Plug the electric cord and Ethernet directly to my MacBook Air (not yet to my home router).
-3. Since a MacBook Air doesn’t come with an Ethernet card, I might need an adapter from Ethernet to a USB one.
-4. Fire-up my terminal and see the IP address for the My Cloud EX2 Ultra, and directly have them typed on the browser (arp -a).
-5. Manually creating a login account interface and setup the necessary on the Settings tab.
-6. Creating an account at MyCloud.com to associate my device with the service.

Please take note that the 6th step is among the crucial part, cause somehow without that particular step, the connection-lost part, intermittently occurring all the time.

-7. Unplug the adapter, and put the Ethernet back directly to my router.
-8. And join my MackBook Air to the local WLAN (Wi-Fi) network.
-9. Now before you do anything to connect to the device from Wi-Fi, make sure you login first to the MyCloud.com site.

Again, as mentioned that additional step really does the trick. It somehow making the device’s connection a whole easier and recognizing the device.

-10. Now fire up your browser and login to http://192.168.1.10/ with your previously created username and password.
-11. The same thing, to have them available over the Finder (the explorer for Mac), I used the afp://192.168.1.10 so be sure to have them activated on the 5th step, make AFP (Apple File Protocol) service running.

I guess, that’s pretty much it, now I can easily have access to my device from the browser, the Finder, my mobile devices and the cloud. The method is not really that stable, mainly there are times the connection went off & I need to manually reconnect them from the Finder, while for the browser based connection, it’s pretty much going smooth so far.

Thanks for all the help @Joerg_A & @mike27oct

Cheers,
G

1 Like

Gerry, first I want to say congrats for getting things setup; even if it was done in an unorthodox way. I have to say, I found it confusing trying to follow all your steps; especially with mac-speak sprinkled in.

Now, let me explain how it ought to be set up so you can work toward this end as it likely will clear up some of your remaining problems.

I want to keep this to bottom line basics; no matter if a Mac or PC is the computer used. To keep this simple for now we have a router, a computer and a My Cloud NAS, all in the same room; even all on the same table. Everything will be wired to router via Ethernet cable and the cables from the computer and MC are plugged into available ports on the back of the router. Everything between the three devices will be working at maximum speed among the three. Setting up the MC should be a snap (unless there are issues like the computer OS prevents this from happening as you first mentioned. So for our example here let’s discard that issue, so we have our perfectly installed setup.

So now, let’s bring in other devices to the network, like phones and tablets that can connect to the network. Setup properly and with the My Cloud app, these mobile device can easily connect to the network, and, to the NAS, and the computer. Let’s imagine there are already some media files on the MC, and likely there are in the Sample Media files pre-installed on NAS, and now all these files can be streamed to the computer and mobile devices through our table top network.

But, we have an issue, you may say there is no way you can keep these devices all together on a table top, because the router needs to be elsewhere (perhaps be more centrally located in house for best wireless coverage). So you move the router to where it is supposed to be (likely wired to modem and incoming Internet signal.).
Your NAS is a wired device only, so it goes where the router goes, and is of course, Ethernet wired to it. Laptop can be connected either way to network.

All this to point out that the wiring and connecting of these devices in some cases is precise, and in ways optional. And, it all boils down to being simple.

In my case, my house has Ethernet wiring in the walls for four outlets in four rooms, so my NAS and PCs are on one side of the house, and the router is all alone, connected to modem and the CAT5 connection box. Nevertheless, they are connected as they are described on the table together, because the wall outlets, and network switches used have the same affect as a table top setup.
Envision your network down to the bare bones, and again, it is simple at the root of it all.

Yes @mike27oct, everything supposedly that simple, if without the fact that OSX El Capitan giving me a hard time. Though my setup is relatively different. A modem and a WiFi router connected to one another, provided from my ISP, there I’d plug an STB (also another device that my ISP provided me with, since they’re selling both bandwidth and cable subscription). And at the third ethernet port available, I plugged the WD-MyCloud, so yeach it’s all wired. While the rest (SmartTV, iOS & Android Devices are all wireless).

While for the last 4th ethernet port, I made it available for another Wi-Fi router as a range expander. Since this another set, would provide me with dual-band Wi-Fi network, both the 2-4GHz and the 5Ghz frequency. So every other devices that require heavy streaming task attach to it.

Thanks for the explanation Mike, really appreciate the whole effort. As I may move on to another task with learning the features the device shall provided me with.

-G

1 Like

So, is the Apple OS still giving you trouble?

We can run out of Ethernet ports fairly quickly these days, so you can add a network switch inexpensively today to your router. I have quite a few around the house. Yhere is one at every Ethernet wall outlet. and in the entertainment center cabinet for all the gadgets in there that need to hooked to network/internet for wired operation. Get gigabit switches even if all gigabit devices are not gigabit. I have found gigabit 5-port switches for $20 (US) and 8-port switches for around $25 by shopping around and buying them all on sale. The brand I have is TrendNet, and they have been real reliable for me and others based upon reviews.

I also currently have three WD Range Extenders placed around the house for better wireless reception. One for 2.4G and two for 5G. If you have your second router set up as an Access POint (AP) and not another router, you can have it connect to your network wirelessly and and remove it physically from the router to free up another port on back of router. You can also place it where you have optimum wireless coverage. I do not rent my router or modem from our Comcast ISP provider, they are better than the rentals, and in a few years they are paid for and never any rental fees. You can likely download from your ISP’s support site the manuals for the router/modem, and even STB so you have a better understanding of how they are (and can be) setup.
–Mike

Hey @mike27oct, it’s still giving me a hard time, the previous solution wasn’t really a stable one, much of the time similar issues occurring this time.

Yeach, I’m thinking to buy Gigabit switches anytime shortly after this.

Thanks @mike27oct

Hey, another idea, get a low cost Windows PC to run the network and let the Apple computer be demoted to just being another device connected to your network.

I gotta tell you that I am actually half-serious about this idea. Our iPhones and iPads behave themselves on the Windows network just fine, and whenever my daughter brought her Apple laptop over, it behaved, too, and I even had her access some network drives and play videos from the network.

Steer clear from new Windows 10 machines for now, because of sharing issues, of all things. If you could find a Windows 7 Home Edition PC that is used but in good shape, that would be perfect and save $$. My network was set up on my Win 7, and my Win 8.i PC is just a network visitor client along for the ride.

Mike

Hi @mike27oct

Another solution beside a WIndows box would be a decent Linux box on a mini pc, or even perhaps a Raspberry Pi. And btw, which version of the OSX operating system your daughter currently running? My best bet, everything else except El Capitan are in perfect shape condition for the WD Cloud Ex2.

How to check which operating system on mac is you need to click the apple logo on the top left of the screen, then choose About this Mac. It should present you with something like this.

Is the WD MyCloud Windows 10 compatible?

Thanks,
G

Gerry, she lives in another state, and I have no idea what’s going on with her mac today. It was many years ago she was connected to my network. I visited her family back in the late summer and the new router I had put in for her was still working well and we all could connect to it. That’s it!

Windows 10, let’s put it this way: it was supposed to come out compatible with everything, of course, but it was not so with any of the My Clouds. I have not been following the various threads here, so have not kept up on the issue. My wife upgraded her Win 8 laptop awhile back to Win 10 (same laptop model as mine) and says her only issue is with the graphic card. According to a user forum at Intel, it is an Intel driver issue. So why hasn’t a new driver appeared. Go figure.

Ahh okay @mike27oct thanks for the prompt respond. I wouldn’t think there’s a permanent solution yet to this issue already. Since the problems still persist, and I wouldn’t be able to login to my WD device yet.

I’m back @mike27oct

And now with a permanent solution, so I figured there has to be something wrong with my network setup, ever since even when I’m using a windows machine, it didn’t manage to pick the WD-MyCloud in the home network. So, I took the extra miles by doing another investment for an another Router, the ASUS RT-AC5300 Wireless AC5300 Tri-Band Gigabit Router, AiProtection with Trend Micro for Complete Network Security from Amazon, and voila, it just worked.

As shown.

As I’m not really sure what went wrong with the previous setup, and this new Router managed to pick-up everything, even without no additional app downloaded from the WD’s official site, it just worked, and this time, it’s a permanent solution to I might say.

Thanks for all the reviews @mike27oct, I’ll see on the next thread.

Best,
G