Problem playing DVD rips or iso

I am having trouble playing dvd’s.

A DVD rip will play but it has a long break going to the next VOB file.

I tried making it an ISO but it wont play that format.  

Any way to play it all as one video with no breaks between files?

Thanks

If you rip your DVDs as VOB files in the VIDEO_TS directory (they have to be in the VIDEO_TS directory), press Enter to select the VIDEO_TS directory, when the files are displayed on the next screen press the Play button on the first VOB file. Press the Options button, then select Menu. After that you will have normal DVD navigation and the videos should play just like they would on a DVD player.

You can do the same thing with an ISO file if the whole DVD is ripped to an ISO. If the ISO does not work, try using a different ripper. Many of us here use DVDFab. With DVDFab you can either rip as VOB files to the VIDEO_TS directory or rip to one big ISO file. It works well with the WD box.

Thanks fo rthe info.

I tried “press the Play button on the first VOB file.”  OK,  The DVD main menue plays.  

then “Press the Options button, then select Menu”   I pressed the remore option button but there is no “Menue”  to select.  I guess there should be a “Menue”  on the options scroling on the top on the options bar?

Yes, there should be a ‘Menu’ item listed in the options. You need to have all the DVD files in the VIDEO_TS directory for this to work. Also, you did not say what device you have and what firmware version that you have. DVD navigation was not present in the older firmwares.

When the files are inside the VIDEO_TS pressing either enter or play will result in continuous playback. Strange though that ISOs don’t work, they do for me.

Thanks,

Yes, all the DVD files are in the VIDEO_TS folder.  

I don’t se a menu item in the options bar.  i do have one that is ghosted.  It is an icon that has 6 small boxes.  between the “info” and “audio channel” icons. 

Maybe a setting is not right making it ghosted. 

As I asked in my previous post: you did not say what device you have and what firmware version that you have. DVD navigation was not present in the older firmwares. Also, use Network Shares (not DLNA) to play back the video.

WD TV Live HD Media Player

ver 1.04.17_v   

OK. It should work with that firmware. Are you using Network Shares rather than DLNA? With DLNA you only have access to one file at a time so the ISO will work but the VOBs won’t (because of multiple files).

“Network Shares rather than DLNA” ?

I am ussing a media server through the eithernet port. 

Are you selecting Network Shares or Media Servers to access the files? If you are using Network Shares, everything should work as I have described. If you are using Media Servers, re-encode the video files to an ISO and it should work as I described earlier. You can use ImgBurn (free) or DVDFab to make the ISO.

Media servers

Please read my previous post. We were both typing at the same time. If you can access your device using Network Shares, the VOB files should work.

Media servers

I tried converting to an ISO but it said format not recognized.  I tried DVDfab and  IMGburn.

Perhaps your original rip is bad? I use DVDFab and ImgBurn all the time, and a lot of others here have used them successfully. My Live Plus has no problem recognizing the files. I can play VOB files in the VIDEO_TS directory and can play ISOs with no problems.

If you can use Network Shares to access your device, the VOB files in the VIDEO_TS directory should work. The ISO file should work with either Network Shares or Media Servers. With both methods, you should have full DVD navigation by selecting Menu in the Options as described earlier.

I would try using DVDFab to rip a different DVD directly to an ISO, and see if you can get it to play.

I copied it to a USB drive.

IT WORKS FINE!!!

I wish there was a way to get it to work on my media server. 

There must be a way?

Thanks

You’re not paying attention.  :)

You CANNOT play VOBs as DVD Format through Media Servers.

You also CANNOT play ISOs via Media Servers as Media Servers don’t support that.

You MUST use NETWORK SHARES.

I wonder if I can set up my D-link as a Network Share insted of a Media Server.

I have a D-Link DSN321 

JeffMI wrote:

I have a D-Link DSN321 

Sorry, I have to jump in here.  Network Shares are NOT a function of your router.  Where are your files located?  If they are on a USB drive connected to the WD TV, then you don’t use either Network Shares or Media Server.  You must use Local Folders/Drives.  If you are trying to play a media file that’s on your computer, then you have to allow that video folder to be shared on your network.  Once you do that, then when you chose Network Shares, you will see that folder that’s been made available.  As a matter of fact, you will see all the folders that are available to you on your network.  If a video is not part of a folder that has been shared, you won’t find it.  Media Server does NOT play ISO’s or VOB’s, like Tony just said.

JeffMI wrote:

I have a D-Link DSN321 

Yes, a quick look at the product specs does indicate you ought to be able to set up shared folders…

Start your studies on page 29 of the DSN321’s manual for details.  :)