Problem getting rsync to run as a daemon during startup

I require rsync on a permanently basis for my NAS and subsequently I will need it to boot up each time.  The problem I have is that it seems the NAS starts with a clean slate after each boot.

It uses default config and script files that are stored in a read only area of memory(/usr/local/modules/scripts/ and /usr/local/config/) and that I can’t modify to boot my script.

I can rebuild the rsync.conf file each time the device boots up and daemonize rsync successfully.  The only problem is that its not practical to do this after each boot.  I’m looking for a way to do an update-rc.d for my rsync startup script.

Any ideas how to get pass this restriction?

Hi there, 

I have not tried this, but lets see if another user can share some information and tips on this matter. 

Anyone?

I haven’t found anything new regarding this.  Can anyone with some Linux experience shed some light on the problem?

Doing some research I found  this thread. Basically the solution there was to add a new user, and set up the crontab with that user.

A few months back I did some config with the crontab for the root user that got wiped after an automatic firmware update, but not sure if this approach will fix it since I haven’t done much with it since.

I think what happens is the system resets the root user settings back to the defaults after a firmware update, but maybe on any reboot. If that holds true then making a separate cronjob user would make sense as a solution