Problem formatting 1tb drive

I have a 1tb WD internal drive that I want to use as NAS. I removed the drive from a PC, and have an adapter that allows me to use a usb connection to my PC. I’m running Windows 10 Pro. When I use the disk manager to gormat the drive, it only gives me 2 options, NTFS & exFat. I want to format it fat32. I need to format it so I can write to it from both Windows & Mac. Neither of the two lptions I have work. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

exFAT is a readable file system on both Windows & Mac

I would highly recommend using exFAT rather than FAT32 because exFAT supports file sizes over 4GB (Gigabytes)

FAT32 does not.

Thanks for your reply. I used exFat, but when I tried to write to it from my Mac, it told me it was a read only drive. It worked fine in Windows. I’ll try it again later today.

I tried your idea, but still no luck. When I try to copy a file from my Macbook Pro to the exFat network drive, I get this: “Couldn’t copy “/Volumes/F/01 - CC Monitor3.xlsm”, error: You can’t save the file “01 - CC Monitor3.xlsm” because the volume “F” is read only.–”. Also, I checked the other 3 network drivrs I have and they’re all fat32. Can you or anyone else help me fix this? Either way, I need to be able to write to this new drive. I have no idea how to make it writable from a Mac. BTW, I can write to it from Windows. I’d really to prefer to format ot fat32.

I’ve finally got it fixed. Fat32 was removed from Windows 10. I used a 3rd party app to reformat to fat32 and can fully access the drive from OS X, Windows, and Android.