Problem displaying to projector

I have an infocus X-1 projector. I have tried connecting the WD TV Live via composite/ component via s-video adapter and cannot get an image. The projector searches for a source nothing, then when I select the source hooked up, nothing. I have tried hooking up to my Sony TV via component and the image flashes on and off for a while the displays a green image, it will display the correct image via composiste. Does the WD TV wait to detect the source it is connected to before sending an image?

First, are you using the cables that were INCLUDED with the Live?   

Second, I don’t understand how you’re hooking up?  

Are you using COMPOSITE output to S-Video conversion?

or

Are you using COMPONENT output to S-Video Conversion?

If either, what converter are you using?

I have connected directly with supplied cable composite to composite, selected composite source on projector, nothing. The projector only has composite/s-video and VGA connections so I have also tried connecting via S-video to component to suppled component cable, nothing.

To TV component to component via supplied cables green image

To TV composite to composiste via supplied cables OK image.

Sounds like you might be plugging into the wrong port on the WDTV?  

There are two; one for the COMPOSITE cable (Yellow / Red / White), and a different one for the COMPONENT cable (red / green / blue)

Sooo. I went to the projector and switched the plugs on the WD TV, component to composite. Now I get a crappy black and white image through the component WD cable connected to the composite WD sockect connected to the projector via s-video adapter. Interesting. Still nothing when connected properly.

I think you are making this WAY too complex.

You should be using the Three-Lead cable; Red / Yellow / White.   Plug the 3.5mm jack into the “AV OUT” jack on the WDTV.   Plug the YELLOW lead into the COMPOSITE input (the YELLOW Jack) on the projector.

Done.

If that doesn’t work, there’s something wrong with your projector, since you said that Composite works fine on your Sony TV…

I have tried composite direct to projector composite, nothing. But after switching to my TV the component now works properly, just can’t get it to work on the projector.

ddutton wrote:

I have tried composite direct to projector composite, nothing. But after switching to my TV the component now works properly, just can’t get it to work on the projector.

Have you actually got component inputs on your projector or are you connecting via some component to s-video adaptor. If it is an adaptor can you tell us what it is. I don’t believe there is any simple way of changing component to s-video without using expensive electronics.

Later.

Just had a look at the infocus projector info and it appears there is a lead called a component to s-video lead sold as an acessory but it is not a standard s-video input connector. It has 6 instead of 4 pins.

This is the adaptor I assume that you have.

http://www.expotv.com/videos/reviews/8/100/InFocus-SP-VIDEO-ADPT-Cable-Component-V/173940

If you do have this adaptor then you plug the red, green and blue leads from the WD into the corresponding adaptor sockets. You then plug the WD lead 3.5mm jack into the ‘Y Pb Pr’ socket on the back of the WDTV (socket nearest the side). I also note its only compatible with 480i signals (and maybe 576i) and not for use with progressive signals.

The WDTV should recognise the signal from the projector but you may have to set up the component input to 480i or 576i via the internal menu. It may also be wise to set up the projector via the menus to a specific video standard and power up source, otherwise the projector and WDTV may both be waiting for each other to give out this information.

If you use the composite lead which is straight plug-in of the yellow lead from the WDTV (AV socket on back)  then make sure that you have selected the correct video standard on the projector as the wrong one will give a black and white picture as you described.

Have you tried other composite devices with the projector?  Like Tony, I would suspect there could be something wrong with the projector if composite works on your TV…

Did you go into Setup > Audio/Video and make sure it’s set to Composite Out?  Are your devices PAL or NTSC?

The s-video to component adapter came with the projector, it works fine with my DVD. I have checked and yes it is set to composite.

Hmmm.   The manual for the X1 says

If your video device has component connectors, use a Component to S-video adapter or a Component to VESA adapter (available from a third party vendor)

So, no clue what you actually have…

see here. I have added extra info to my last post.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Problem-displaying-to-projector/m-p/49021/highlight/true#M12194

I think I may have found the problem. When I hook it up to my TV go into video options component 480i is not an option only 480p. Does a firmware upgrade allow 480i?

No, that is not an option.

Ok I can now get an image. Set to 480p or 720p but it is split screen incorrect colours. Any suggestions on settings? I also cahnged the RGB setting.

ddutton wrote:

I think I may have found the problem. When I hook it up to my TV go into video options component 480i is not an option only 480p. Does a firmware upgrade allow 480i?

Doesn’t your projector have 480i

Projector has 480i but WD TV  live only has 480i composite, tried would not display and 480p component splt screen image. From another tread it sounds like a cable issue so I’m going to try my VGA to component cable. Just need to get an RCA female female plug.

Ok, now for the obvious question:   Why use COMPONENT output?   Why not just use COMPOSITE, which is 480i?

I give up. Tried VGA component adapter from projector no image. The only thing I can get is a split image, going back to costco, trying seagate.

I’ll be surprised if you fare any better with ANY other device, but kindly do us the favor of updating us when (if) you get it to work.