Problem deleting files and folders on the WD Live Streaming Media Player

This happens sporadically when I try to delete a file or folder from a drive attached to the USB port… I am using 1.09.10 firmware.

When I click on the Options key, and choose to delete a file or a folder strange things happen. Sometimes the file or folder will be deleted and will continue to appear on the screen.  When I check the attached hard drive using Windows Network Sharing, I see that the folder (or file) has been deleted. Yet, it still appears on the TV screen. The only way to remove it, is to eject the hard drive, reconnect it, and rebuild the library.

A more serious problem, that I haven’t been able to work around occurs when I delete the last file in a folder. The folder disappears from the media library. When I add content to the folder, via either network sharing or physically connecting the external drive to a computer, and then browse the media library, the folder doesn’t appear. The file will appear when I list the new files added on the computer, but I can’t see the folder that I put the file in. Is there a work around for this?

Thanks in advance

the reason why the deleted items are still there and why the folder doesnt re-appear is because the drive need to be manually re-scanned.

this is an issue with the current FW, as previous FW’s autmoatically rescanned for you.

Yes, just rescan the parent folder. RESCAN is in the options menu.

Thanks for the help. It worked like a charm.

Rescanning the files in the external hard drive worked for a week. Now, even after I rescan the entire drive, or just subfolders,  folders that were previously empty, but nowt have videos in them, do not appear. The only way I can see that these videos are recognized by the Media Player is to view the new items. When I check the files on the portable drive via a computer, they appear in the proper folder. For some reason the folder is invisible in the Files and Videos menus.

I’ve ejected the drive from the media player and then remounted it. Still can’t see the folders.

1 Like

I’ve found file management on the WDTVsmp to be flakey at best.  I no longer do ANY file manipulation on the WDTV thru the menus or remotely from a PC, almost guarenteed of getting corrputed files.  I dismount and remove the drive from the WDTV and connect it to my PC, add, delete or move files, run CHKDSK, unmount and remove the drive from the PC and put it back on the WDTV.

Rider wrote:

I’ve found file management on the WDTVsmp to be flakey at best.  I no longer do ANY file manipulation on the WDTV thru the menus or remotely from a PC, almost guarenteed of getting corrputed files.  I dismount and remove the drive from the WDTV and connect it to my PC, add, delete or move files, run CHKDSK, unmount and remove the drive from the PC and put it back on the WDTV.

Considering that I add and remove files from attached portable hard drive, doing it your way is a pain in the derrière. I wish that Western Digital woud do something about this.

I have exactly the same problem. Folders that were empty disappeared from wdtv file view but when I added files back in (via PC), then WDTV still doesnt show the folders!

[Deleted]

I was just wondering - have any of the more recent firmwares fixed this flakiness?

I have the same problem as well. I put files through the network from my computer tot the map “videos”. The files or movies I don’t like I want to delete. I use the remote and choose to delete the file/folder. I see the library updating but the deleted files are still there. Even when I delete the files using windows (get in the WDTV using the network) and delete the files manually they still show up in the videos section. When I try to play them (even while they are deleted) the wdtv gives a message that it can not find the file. Sometimes old deleted movies and files keep showing up for weeks. i can’t get rid of them! I hope that this bug can be fixed.  

I did a bug report. Couldn’t find this problem in the bug-forum >>  Bugreport

polpolrene wrote:

I did a bug report. Couldn’t find this problem in the bug-forum >>  Bugreport

Holy cow.  Yeah, I see your bug report in that link.

But do you not see the Sticky Post there that says:  “PUT ALL WDTV LIVE BUGS IN THE NEW WDTV LIVE BUGS FORUM - not here!”

I guess not.

Thanx, I did it to the right forum now. I hope >> Bugreport