Hi, I am on my third WD TV Live unit. The first one had all kinds of problems. I worked with tech support and tried everything, thinking it was probably a setting or a network problem. I messed around until warranty was expired so I tossed it and bought another. It was very frustrating. I put hours in on that thing trying to make it work. I almost went with another brand.
I had problems right off the bat with the second one freezing up. I sent it in for warranty and received a new one. I let it sit for a month or so because I didn’t want to have to deal with the hassle but here I am.
I connected the new warranty box up to my wired network on Monday and it worked fine. Perfect in every sense of the word. I was on top of the world.
The next day (yesterday) it asked me if I wanted to upgrade the firmware. The sane part of my brain screamed NO!, NO! but tech part of me needed the newest version. I upgraded.
Since then, It has not been able to see any new file or folder that I add to my shared drive. Mind you, it was working perfectly before the upgrade. I am running Win 7 premium on the PC that has the media files. I haven’t dinged with the file sharing settings because it was working fine on Monday.
I’ve researched this community site and done lots of googling to no avail. Is there some kind of change that version 1.12.14 made that wasn’t documented?
The media is on its own hard drive on the Win 7 Premium PC. No OS or programs on that drive. I just have folders named Music, Movies, Images, etc. I can go through the new WD menu structure and find “movies” but when I open it up, only some of the subfolders show up. Not even all of the folders that were there before show up now.
I’ve rescanned, device reset, hard reset, power cycled to no avail. I’ve turned Media library on and off. I have “Get content info” on auto but had it off too. The one thing I’ll say is, there is really no evidence that any of my rescans actually took place. No light indication, no empty pages, etc. It just turned back on and looked like it has since the upgrade. I’m not positive that it is really rescanning, which would obviously be the problem.
I am fairly certain that I will be able to restore its usefulness by installing an older version of the firmware back on the machine. I saw instructions somewhere for that. I am really hoping that someone here is aware of another fix. I hate to think that I will never be able to take advantage of any newer firmware.
Sorry if I didn’t provide a key bit of info you need to help. I’ll be glad to give it to you. I just didn’t know what info was needed since it was working OK before and no changes were made other than the firmware.