Problem after firmware update

Hi, I am on my third WD TV Live unit.  The first one had all kinds of problems.  I worked with tech support and tried everything, thinking it was probably a setting or a network problem.  I messed around until warranty was expired so I tossed it and bought another.  It was very frustrating.  I put hours in on that thing trying to make it work.  I almost went with another brand.

I had problems right off the bat with the second one freezing up.  I sent it in for warranty and received a new one.  I let it sit for a month or so because I didn’t want to have to deal with the hassle but here I am.

I connected the new warranty box up to my wired network on Monday and it worked fine.  Perfect in every sense of the word.  I was on top of the world.

The next day (yesterday) it asked me if I wanted to upgrade the firmware.  The sane part of my brain screamed NO!, NO! but tech part of me needed the newest version.  I upgraded. 

Since then, It has not been able to see any new file or folder that I add to my shared drive.  Mind you, it was working perfectly before the upgrade.  I am running Win 7 premium on the PC that has the media files.  I haven’t dinged with the file sharing settings because it was working fine on Monday.

I’ve researched this community site and done lots of googling to no avail.  Is there some kind of change that version 1.12.14 made that wasn’t documented?

The media is on its own hard drive on the Win 7 Premium PC. No OS or programs on that drive.  I just have folders named Music, Movies, Images, etc.   I can go through the new WD menu structure and find “movies” but when I open it up, only some of the subfolders show up.   Not even all of the folders that were there before show up now.

I’ve rescanned, device reset, hard reset, power cycled to no avail.  I’ve turned Media library on and off.  I have “Get content info” on auto but had it off too.   The one thing I’ll say is, there is really no evidence that any of my rescans actually took place.  No light indication, no empty pages, etc.  It just turned back on and looked like it has since the upgrade.  I’m not positive that it is really rescanning, which would obviously be the problem.  

I am fairly certain that I will be able to restore its usefulness by installing an older version of the firmware back on the machine.  I saw instructions somewhere for that.  I am really hoping that someone here is aware of another fix.  I hate to think that I will never be able to take advantage of any newer firmware.

Sorry if I didn’t provide a key bit of info you need to help.  I’ll be glad to give it to you.  I just didn’t know what info was needed since it was working OK before and no changes were made other than the firmware.

Ok, first off, you give a really good description if your issue.  Makes it easier for us to help troubleshoot.  Nice job!

I’m not positive that it is really rescanning, which would obviously be the problem.  

This is key, and that’s what I’ll aim at.  

Try the following.   Each will accomplish the same goal, but with increasing degrees of “force.”

First, make sure your content source is set to “My Media LIbrary” by pressing the RED BUTTON when you’re in the Videos section.

Then, while you’re at the first level of content shown on the screen, highlight a folder and press OPTIONS – RESCAN.

Your WD should say “Compiling Media Library” for a period of time.

Repeat the above for each folder that may be “missing” content.

If that doesn’t work:

Go to SETUP / SYSTEM / MEDIA LIBRARY / MEDIA LIBRARY MANAGER …

and DELETE the share.

Then Re-Add the share.

If that doesn’t work:

Go to SETUP / SYSTEM / MEDIA LIBRARY

and select CLEAR MEDIA LIBRARY.

Go back to the HOME screen and wait for the compile to finish.

If that doesn’t work:

Go to SETUP / SYSTEM / MEDIA LIBRARY / MEDIA LIBRARY MANAGER …

and DELETE the share.

Now, go to your PC that has the content.   Find the hidden .wd_tv folder that’s in the root of the shared volume.

Delete the entire folder.

Then Re-Add the share to the media library.

Go back to the HOME screen and wait for the compile to finish.

-First, make sure your content source is set to “My Media LIbrary” by pressing the RED BUTTON when you’re in the Videos section.

When I go to Video and press the red button, I get a menu, “select Content Source.”  “My Media Library” is not a choice.  “Media Server” is the closest so I chose that.  It took me to a sub-menu, “Select Content Source: Media Server.”  I chose the name of the drive that has the content.

-Then, while you’re at the first level of content shown on the screen, highlight a folder and press OPTIONS – RESCAN.

First level is a bunch of folders, All Videos, Video Genres, Video Actors, Folders, etc.  total of 8.  I highlighted each one and hit OPTIONS.  Nothing happened at all on any of them.

-Go to SETUP / SYSTEM / MEDIA LIBRARY / MEDIA LIBRARY MANAGER …

and DELETE the share.

Then Re-Add the share.

My menu seems to be a bit different.  I did SETUP / SYSTEM / MEDIA LIBRARY and the nearest to MEDIA LIBRARY MANAGER was MEDIA LIBRARY MANAGER FOR NETWORK SHARE.  Here’s where it gets weird.  I clicked on MEDIA LIBRARY MANAGER FOR NETWORK SHARE and my two choices were ADD NETWORK SHARE TO MEDIA LIBRARY and SET AUTO SCAN SCHEDULE.  I Chose ADD NETWORK SHARE…and my only choice on the next sub menu was WINDOW SHARES.  I hit OK and the next submenu was a list of the devices on my network.  I chose the one that had the media on it.  After it thought for a minute, a partial list of the new and existing files came up.  When I chose MOVIES, a complete list, new and old of the new folders  and files that exist on my MOVIES subfolder came up. I selected a couple of them and hit OK. A box comes up that says SELECT HERE.  The name of the folder is below.  I hit OK on SELECT HERE and I could see that something was happening.  The LED on the front of the WD TV Live was blinking indicating that it was scanning.

So now, when I go to the VIDEOS menu, it says “787 new items.”  The problem is, I can’t find my new content.  There is no way to go through the tree structure of the drive and pick out my file.  Choosing the “FOLDERS” menu item leads to a sub-menu that still shows a partial list,  If I choose  “ALL VIDEOS” I do get a list that includes at least some of the new content.  The problem is that it is over 1000 pages and I can’t tell what some of it is due to the names of the files. 

Since it appears that we have solved the rescan problem (THANK YOU!!) I will stop here with that issue.  The remaining issue is, how can I see my files listed by folder and sub-folder?  That part didn’t update and I was able to do that before the new firmware.

Thanks again for your help. 

ThanksT

Apparently, you were never using the Media Library… you were previously using MEDIA SERVER?   If so, then the issue was due to your media server not updating its content list.

Anyway, now that you HAVE set up your media library, repeat Step 1 – Select the CONTENT SOURCE as “My Media LIbrary”

To change to FOLDER view, press the GREEN button (Filter) and set the FIlter back to FOLDER.

BTW, none of this changed as a result of firmware updates – it’s been this way for as long as I can remember.

I don’t know how I screwed it up but I know that it works like a charm now!!

You went to a lot of trouble to walk me through this and I want you to know that I appreciate it.  It takes a lot of time to think of how to explain things to  people with varying amounts of experience and then more time to write it down.  People don’t realize that someone is doing a lot of work to help a stranger when they get this kind of help.

This is going to make it so much easier to watch my recordings and DVDs!

Thanks again!

My pleasure.