Private share not working in Windows

I am now 8 hours into first install and after much searching am coming to the conclusion that WD have released a product saying it works with Windows when a major part of its functionality does NOT. I purchased the product for family use wanting to set up 3 users with some common (public) files and some private files for each user. All the documentation and sales blurb implies this is possible and yet I cannot see that it can be done. I’ve read about disconnecting network drives using command prompt - even if that were  suitable function for my kids to use!! - yet that seems to require a reboot everytime one changes between a private share and a public share or a change of user and is not practicable

Does anyone have

a) a solution

b) a release date for a fix

c) a workable work around

d) the number of Trading Standards to report mis-selling?

Please give more details of how you are setting up the shares and what issues you are having specifically. This will help you get more answers than ranting.

1 Like

sorry getting very tired and frustrated

Set up 3 Cloud users, all with different usernames and passwords

set up 4 private shares, 1 for each user and 1 shared by 2 users

copied some files to public share

then when try to copy files from anywhere to  one of the private shares, get windows message about entering passwrods and user names.

however no usernames or passwords are accepted.

research this forum and Windows and it seems Windows only allows network connection to have the same user name and password

tried advice to disconnect network drive using windows command but then have to reboot which isn’t going to be workable in daily use as any one user will be needing to access private and public shares, and through their own cloud usernames.

Any ideas?

Go to the dashboard > Shares.  Click on any share that you created that is Private.  Look at the bottom where it says User Access.  Did you set to Full Access for the user? (theres three icons, Full Access, Read Only, and No Access)

Yes

MrsAverage1 wrote:

research this forum and Windows and it seems Windows only allows network connection to have the same user name and password

tried advice to disconnect network drive using windows command but then have to reboot which isn’t going to be workable in daily use as any one user will be needing to access private and public shares, and through their own cloud usernames.

Any ideas?

Well, you’re partially correct.

Windows only allows one set of credentials to connect to a NAS – Per Windows User.

So if you have multiple people using the same Windows PC, then each should have their own Windows account.

But either way, if you’re using the command to disconnect, you should not have to reboot…  this is something I do frequently and have never had to reboot.

Just use the command

net use * /delete

… and that’s it.

Hi There,

Yes, I had the same annoying experience as MrsAverage1. And yes, all did work out when i used my windows credentials as user-credentials.

So, TonyPh12345 – good advice!

Cheers

//Jonas

btw, it still does not explain why WDSmartWare cannot see either my WD Cloud or MyBook Live. But that’s another thread:-)

Hello Tony,

Looking for a solution about the problem with private shares.

I read you answers and the given solution. However, I really don’t understand what you mean by: ‘net use * /delete’.

If I use it in the cmd prompt nothing happens to make my private shares visible.

BTW, it’s not just a Windows issue, on Mac it’s the same problem.

Conclusion: I’m sorry I did’n spent some more money and bought a ‘real’ NAS.