PR4100 Won't stay in standby mode after firmware update

After the latest (4/19, I think) firmware update, my PR4100 won’t stay in standby mode. It goes into standby mode, but then wakes up regularly throughout the day–even though it’s not being accessed by any of my devices.

Before updating the firmware, it was working fine and only coming out of standby when I connected to it or during its scheduled 3:00 AM update check.

It’s driving me nuts because it’s sitting right next to my workspace. Any advice for getting it to work properly like it was before?

Thanks.

Hello,

I recommend you contact WD support for assistance with this.

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Well, I’d rather try something myself before going through that mess. That’s the point of a user community, no?

Thanks. I’ll try turning off Cloud Access to see if that helps. However, I had this enabled with the last firmware and it was working OK then, so I’m skeptical…

Turing off Cloud Access had no effect. My device keeps spinning up for not discernible reason…

@AZ602 I’m sending you a private message

Here’s a KBA that may help.
I suggest to turn off the Product Improvement Plan (PIP) and see if that resolves your issue.

https://support.wdc.com/knowledgebase/answer.aspx?ID=15162

Thanks, I just turned off PIP and will see if this resolves the issue. Is this turned on by default when the firmware is updated? I recall opting OUT of it when I first set up the drive.

Well, turning off PIP didn’t help. Something about this latest firmware version just doesn’t want my NAS to stay in standby mode too long. I also have no apps (like Plex) installed, so nothing else to turn off to try and fix the issue–unless I turn off media streaming, which defeats the purpose of having this NAS in the first place.

But the whole point of this NAS is media streaming. Why would I turn off DLNA?

I can’t turn off DLNA because I’m using this as a DLNA Server. That’s like someone complaining that their hard drive is too loud and your suggestion is to just turn it off.

OK, I turned off DLNA and the system stayed in standby all day. Now what?

OK… so what do I do about it?

downgrade PR4100_2.21.126

@AZ602

• Get the hostname or IP of your My Cloud

• Append to the path with port 9000 to access the Twonky UI

IE:  MyCloudPR2100:9000

• Click “Advanced”

• Expand " Rescan Interval"

• Change the value from -1 to something higher like 4320 (72 hours)

• Click “Save”

Let us know the results

I set the interval to 24 hours. The NAS still spins up multiple times throughout the day with nobody connected.

No other ideas? I can’t even find the older firmware to install. Frustrating…

Report your probmel to western digital, have same shxx :rage: