PR4100 Unreachable after OS5 Upgrade

I have upgraded my PR4100 NAS server to OS5. I am now experiencing unending complications.

Since doing the install, I have been unable to connect to any NAS Shares in my Windows 10 Pro computer.

At first, I was getting the following message when attempting to provide the password for my USER name:
“The network folder specified is currently mapped using a different user name and password. To connect using a different user name and password, first disconnect any existing mappings to this network share.” Using NET USE I noticed that there were no existing mappings to the NAS server.

I searched for the error message with Google and attempted to circumvent the problem by following the suggestions provided. Microsoft supplied a couple of workarounds that I could not get to work. I spent most of yesterday attempting to find a correction to the problem.

Last thing yesterday, I set a number of the shares to Public. Surprisingly, I was able to connect to those shares. I figured I had a workaround to use until I found a proper solution. This morning the connections to the public shares no longer worked - “Invalid logonid or password.”

I am at my wit’s end. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Mark.

This is a follow-on to the opening message in this posting (see above).

When I first experienced these problems, I was prepared to blame it on Microsoft Networking, but now, I feel that the upgrade to NAS server OS5 was the cause of and is responsible for my ongoing problems.

The problem only affects one of three, my main Windows 10, machines. It was the only machine that was on when I did the OS5 upgrade. A Windows 7 machine, which was off when the update was performed is working fine. A Windows 98 SE machine cannot access the upgraded PR4100 at all since the OS5 upgrade.

All of my computers networked with the PR4100, without trouble, prior to the OS5 upgrade. All other networking, including to a WD My Book Live Duo NAS server, continues to work without a hitch. The troubles are with the PR4100 exclusively.

I have a work around for the networking on my main Windows 10 machine, but it is a frustration to invoke each time I boot into this machine - credentials are not carried over correctly between sessions. Even with the workaround, I can only access shares that are designated as Public.

On my Microsoft Community posting, one other person indicated that they are experiencing the same problem.

I do not want to have to buy another NAS server, but if I cannot come up with a solution to this problem, I will probably start looking at non-WD offerings. I don’t wish for this to become necessary.

Mark.

Hi @NAS_Kram,

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

My PR4100 is out of warranty. Will WD Technical Support team still consider my problem?