PR4100 Connection Issues on Mac

I’ve had my PR4100 for a few months and have consistently been having connection issues in our local network. There are two aspects to it:

1a. I will have logged in to the NAS in the Finder, but when accessing it from an application I only have the guest view, and I have to log in again.

1. Then, often, I will loose the connection in my Finder. It says Connection Failed. But if I try to reconnect, it says it can’t eject the drive (one of the shared folders) because a certain application is using it. The workaround for this is to go to Force Quit and Relaunch the Finder. Once I do that it usually comes back, already logged in.

1b. Then sometimes in the applications, it “looses” the NAS when the Finder can still see it. I’ll be working in a program like Premier or even Word and suddenly, I can’t save or my linked video disappears because the drive is not available.

I have the 24Tb version with Firmware version 2.31.149 running. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Hi. I’m having similar issues in a Mac environment. Were you able to solve your connection problems?

Thanks,

• olaf

I’m still having this issue Olaf. Not all the time, but sometimes.

I’m having this same issue. The PR4100 shows in finder, but won’t be accessible. I can’t disconnect from the NAS. All I can do is reboot the Mac, then it works.

I’m also having an issue with Time Machine. I’ve only ever been able to back-up to the NAS once. Unfortunately the NAS just disconnects after some time. I’ve tried new ethernet cables, having my Mac plugged into the NAS rather than on wifi. Same issue. The android app is also awful, constantly crashes, misses vital functions. Plex doesn’t work; it can’t find the server. In fact, most of the apps don’t work. I’ve had this NAS for almost a year, I spend most of time time trawling online forums, seeking answers to questions and faults. I bought this NAS primarily as a media server.

There’s no support - read the manual, read the FAQs, forums. I’m just whinging now.

I think it’s time to save up for a QNAP or Synology. WD NAS is awful. Glad their drives are good though!