PR4100 adding 3rd and 4th drive

I have the PR4100 with bay 1 and 2 with 3TB drives in raid 0. I want to add bay 3 and 4 with 2 6TB drives. can I do this? Drives are installed. But I am unsure if I can have Raid 0 for bay 1 and 2 and Raid 1 for bay 3 and 4.

Hi @rstaebler,

Please be informed that you need to upgrade your device to Raid 5. But before up-gradation please back up all data from the drive.

Setting a multi drive unit to RAID 0 gives access to the full storage space (ie. an 8TB unit will have approximately 8TB of available space). The negative of RAID 0 is that there is no backup/redundancy of any type. If one or more drives fail, all data will be lost.

Setting a multi-drive unit to RAID 5 requires one drive for redundancy (i.e. an 8TB unit will have approximately 6TB of available space). While available space is reduced, data is protected from a single drive failure.

Please refer to the below link for more information:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27421

WD Staff,
Thank you for answering my post. I just need to get one point clear.

Bay 0 has 3TB
Bay 1 has 3TB
Bay 2 has 6TB
Bay 3 has 6TB

Bay 2 and 3 I just added. Bay 0 and 1 are Raid 1. I thought if I went Raid 5, all 4 drives, they had to all be same size?

i was hoping I could do (2) Raid 1 configurations, making 2 storage drives.

I will be using this as Media server (movies and music in our house) Also for backup storage for our PC.

how to proceed?

Sincerely,

Russ Staebler
{Much of our frustration in life comes from attempting to control what we cannot control and neglecting to control what we can. I can only control myself and influence others}