Pr4100, 4 JBOD drives, 4 volumes, can't get past volume 1

Pr4100, 4 JBOD drives, 4 volumes, can’t get past volume 1. Won’t let me move on to volume 2 to continue adding files. 37.5 tb free.

Please explain what you mean by “can’t get past volume 1”. In a JBOD configuration, each hard drive is a separate enitiy, and must be mapped/accessed separately.

The first volume is full. I thought I would move on to volume two, disk 2 to continue adding my video files. I can’t add anymore show to my directory tv. You mentioned mapped/accessed separately.!
Storage 2|690x359

Yes, in a JBOD configuration, each volume exists as a separate entity, but a share must be created for each drive/volume for it to be accessible on the network.

Drive --> Volume --> Share

For example, I have 4 hard drives in my PR4100 configured as JBOD volumes.

Drive_1 --> Volume_1 --> MEDIA_1
Drive_2 --> Volume_2 --> MEDIA_2
Drive_3 --> Volume_3 --> MEDIA_3
Drive_4 --> Volume_4 --> MEDIA_4

I just created 4 directories tv, movies, b&w, and unsung. Can you explain the share part. Also, can I move forward with my current setup if I create shares for them?

Everything I’ve added to mycloud has been on volume 1, disk 1.

That’s the problem, you haven’t created shares for drives 2-4. Here’s how mine is configured.

Okay. After creating the shares how did you separate tv from movies. Is media 1 volume 1 for movies,…?

There are many ways to do it, but it mostly depends on the type and size of your data. In my case, I categorize my shares as follows…

MEDIA_1 = Movies
MEDIA_2 = Series
MEDIA_3 = General File Storage
MEDIA_4 = Development Projects
Public = Temporary File Sharing

Thank you so much! I was going crazy. When I had the Pr2100 it was simple to setup. Thank you for time clarity.

It may seem complicated, but it’s really simple.

Regardless of the data being stored, I always use MEDIA_X as the share name because adding a number immediately tells me which hard drive is being used. I also immediately know which hard drive corresponds with it’s backup counterpart, thanks to a label added to each drive.

Using names like Movies, Series, Pictures, Music, etc is fine, but they always go under the primary MEDIA_X share name.

I have one more question please. Since you are not using raid how do you protect your drives? Or do you? If so, what are you using?

I use TeraCopy to perform manual backups to external hard drives, which are stored in a Turtle Waterproof 3.5" Hard Drive Case for easy transport.

Whenever I need a new (typically larger) hard drive, I always buy two of them, one for the data, and one for the backups.

It’s a common misconception that RAID provides backup protection, but RAID only exists to provide high availability, at the expense of reduced reliability. I learned that lesson long ago… the hard way.

So, you backup your external drives. See I have 4 12tb drives. I don’t see myself purchasing 4 additional drives to backup my videos. Not sure how they work, but I thought unraid would be something to use to backup my files in a small way. If not, is there anything that can allow you to back mass info in a small collection?

Seen one RAID, seen them all, and sooner or later RAID will burn you when you least expect it. Plus, RAID tends to wear out hard drives rather quickly, which is probably why WD goes out of their way to push RAID in the OS5 dashboard, even when it makes absolutely no sense.

For example, who on Earth is going to select “Change RAID Mode” when they want to create JBOD volumes? Not me, and certainly not many other people who were equally confused until I explained it to them.

Automated backup software exists, and some programs are better than others, but none I’ve tried has proven itself to be more reliable than rolling up my sleeves and getting busy.

Manual backups to external hard drives is the method I’ve used for over 20 years, and I’m sticking to it because it works. Yes, additional hard drives are expensive, especially the 12 TB variety (I have many Toshiba X300 12 TB drives), but it’s a small price to pay for the peace of mind they provide.

Oh, and one last thing…

In more than 20 years, I haven’t lost any data. The only exception is the one time when I trusted a WD My Book drive, only to be burned when the enclosure failed and I found that the data on the hard drive had been encrypted by secret hardware encryption on the hardware itself. Now, I only use bare hard drives, so enclosure failure and/or secret hardware encryption aren’t issues I need to be concerned with.

Sounds solid. Perhaps I invest in some cheaper drives to backup, which sounds absolutely nuts. Thank you for your time.

Amen.

Manual backup is my friend.

I am also a big fan of “retiring” backups. Once every year or two. . . a drive goes into dead storage. Very hard for Ransomware to get data that hasn’t been live in a system for a few years. . . . .

. . .although truth be told. . . .user error is a bigger problem for me. You know. . .when you delete or corrupt a file and don’t realize what has happened until the mistake propagates through your backups. I generally have to dig into the archive once every few years to recovery something :wink:

(post deleted by author)

I go back to the days of nightly backups of the VAX systems to 9 track magnetic tape and 25% of the monthly budget was for tape and off site storage.

RAID is good for getting you going faster when a disk fails.

Computer motherboards now have slots for 2+ M.2 SSD we keep duplicate copies of OS with one turned off in BIOS ( Windows 10 updates can make for a bad day )

You don’t generally need to back up EVERTHING and if you set your shares to match your external disk storage you can use smaller disks.

WD NAS do have up to 3 USB ports

Make sure any storage case used to hold backups is water proof too :

check out backblaze hard-drive-test-data to get an idea of how long disks can last
( remember they test at cooler temp than we see with our NAS units )

I can restore a 12 TB backup in a little more than a day, while a RAID rebuild would take a week… or more. Plus RAID carries the very real risk of another drive dying during the process.

Absolutely, but none of them are 100% waterproof, not even the Pelican cases.

I created an app for that, where my PR4100 and EX2 Ultra both run much cooler as a direct result. The app has been running for about 2 weeks, and should be ready for a beta release soon.